Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1972 F7 was starting hard, running for a few seconds at high rpms, then dying. Sounds like a lean condition problem, right? Performed a leak down test by plugging exhaust port and pumping air through intake into crankcase. Air pressure would not hold and I immediately heard air leaking (and bubbles appearing) at the Fuel Drain Plug (P/N 92067-007). Removed the Plug, which resembles a banjo bolt, and noticed a small opening leading to the crankcase (from which the air is leaking). My questions are: Should the Fuel Drain Plug prevent air leaking through this opening from the crankcase? Would this air leak cause the hard starting and the other symptoms I mentioned above? I'm inclined to say yes to both questions but this is the first time I've experienced a problem like this and not sure why there would be an opening from the crankcase at the Fuel Drain Plug anyway. In addition, I'd like to be able to determine if my crank seals, cylinder base gasket, and head gasket are not leaking. I can't do this until I plug the leak at the Fuel Drain Plug first. Perhaps an expert or someone with experience doing a leak down test on this model or having had a similar issue in the past would be so kind as to provide some helpful comments.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It would seem as if very few people still use forums on sites accessed through a computer. I'd like to read about the solution to this problem too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It sounds like you have bad crank seals and also the gasket on your fuel drain plug needs to be replaced. Yes that could be the source of hard starting and high revs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Further to my last post, I found an interesting thread on this site that I think you will find helpful. It would appear that your bike is similar to the KE-175 in that it has a fuel pump that removes excess fuel from the carb housing. If the diaphram in the pump has a hole in it, then that allows a direct connection to the crankcase resulting in a leak. Here is a link to that thread. Hope it helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts