Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for my first bike .. yay!

I'm 27 years old and about 6ft3, so a little on the tall side. I'm looking for a sportsbike that might fit me. I'd settle for a 400cc if I can find one that might fit me, but I read that the 600's might be a better size to go for. I also read that the ZX6 might be a good option for the taller rider. Is this true?

Anyway, I'm based in South Africa, so the options are a little limited in terms of how many bikes are actually listed. But I'm not really in a huge rush though, so I can wait if there is a bike that is clearly above the rest. I'm constrained in the amount I can spend, which generally has me looking at 10-15 years bikes.

A quick comb though the a local website advertising website has revealed these bikes are generally available

- ZXR 400cc 1994
- ZZR 400 (various ages)
- ZZR 600 (various ages)
- ZX6 (rarely available)
- GPZ 400R (various ages)
- 400 Ninja (various ages)

Thanks.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I'm not very familiar with all the modles you've listed, but from seeing a ZZR600 I'd imagine it would be the "roomiest" of the bunch.

Whichever you choose, consider the option of risers for the bars, and possibly aftermarket lowered footpegs.

I'm 6'2" and put a set of 1" risers on my bike, and the difference was remarkable.

Happy hunting.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I'm 6' and my 600 is small for me. However, my son's friend is close to your height and started out on a 250, so I'm sure the bikes you have mentioned could work. your best bet is to sit on them. If you have a dealer around that has a number of used bikes, go sit on them and get a feel for leg room.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Best bet is to try and sit on as many of them as possible. There's a lot of choices out there.

Good luck!

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Don't rule out the Ninja 650, it's a parallel twin, so it's not as peppy/revvy as the rest of the 600's, but it's got plenty of grunt, and the best part is it's very comfy for taller riders.

They're also very easy on the eyes. ;-)

...Oh, and Welcome to BTK! :D

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Same thing w/a Suzuki SV650.......V-twin, good learners bike for a bigger guy.

My son is big and he learned on mine.......powerful enuf to run, manageable for a new MSF trained rider.

·
U.S. Army Sgt. Vet.
42 Posts
Idea?

Ive heard a couple of guys that were taller talking about the feel of the Kawasaki Versys. Not much sure on it myself being 6ft, I always thought 650 enduros fit nicely for taller people. Believe it or not in my MSF course some time back we had a guy that was 6'9" and needless to say on the little Hyosung 250(biggest bike they had) he did not pass due to balance and turning issues. Hit his knees constantly. Felt bad for him...

·
Registered
29 Posts
i am 6'4 and i have rode just about every bike out there, i used to work for a pawn shop and we saw alot of them. but the most comfortable out of all of them for me was the kawasaki z1000. this bike seemed to have alot more leg room, where as if you look at the GSXR600, they have hardly any room. it seems as if you're lookin for a smaller bike, i dont have alot of knowlege with them, personally im a cruiser guy. just my .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts