Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son and I are taking on a new project - a 1975 Kawasaki G4TR-E 100cc bike we had at the farm from new when I was a kid. It hasn't ran in 35 years approximately so its going to need a lot of work.

The engine is somewhat in pieces but I think and hope all the parts are present. I didn't dissassemble any of it, I believe my nephew took the side covers off, removed the carb and the motor off the frame. My son said he could not move the kick starter so the cylinder/piston might be seized.

Advice anyone? I'm hoping it will be a fun project that won't break the bank. I do realize nothing is free in life and will have to shell out some cash to make it happen.

·
Registered
1983 GPz 750, green
218 Posts
Be very patient getting her unstuck, probably rusted cylinder and rings. Penetrating oil will be your friend. let it soak for a week before you even try. Then light taps. good luck. How about some before pics?

·
Super Moderator
2,150 Posts
Good advice from Alex. I have heard some folks use diesel fuel. They fill the cylinder with diesel and leave it for a week.
And yes. We need pictures, before, during and after restoration.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be very patient getting her unstuck, probably rusted cylinder and rings. Penetrating oil will be your friend. let it soak for a week before you even try. Then light taps. good luck. How about some before pics?
Thanks for responding. Great idea - pics will be coming here ASAP.

Any advice on where to buy parts? I need a service manual and user manual too, where do I find these?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice from Alex. I have heard some folks use diesel fuel. They fill the cylinder with diesel and leave it for a week.
And yes. We need pictures, before, during and after restoration.
Thanks for responding. Will do! Any advice on the best way to acquire parts? Service manual? User manual?

·
Super Moderator
2,150 Posts
For a bike this old, many parts will not be available as new. My goto source for new parts is Partzilla but there are many others and don't forget the Kawasaki dealer. Sometimes I have actually found the dealer had the best price and they typically don't charge for shipping costs.

I suspect Ebay and Google will be your friend when it comes time to track down some of the parts.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a bike this old, many parts will not be available as new. My goto source for new parts is Partzilla but there are many others and don't forget the Kawasaki dealer. Sometimes I have actually found the dealer had the best price and they typically don't charge for shipping costs.

I suspect Ebay and Google will be your friend when it comes time to track down some of the parts.
Once I can get the cylinder unseized, then I can assess the parts I need. I plan on bringing the bike from the farm into my garage here in the city to assess it more and take "before" pics. Used parts will have to do, and they will be cheaper too. I've been calling around locally to see who can rebuild the engine or at least bore out or hone the cylinder for me. I hope the bottom end of the engine is ok and doesn't have any water in it. I hope I have most of the original parts since it is somewhat in pieces when my nephew dissassembled some of it.

Thanks for the great advice!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree ^^^^^ and this manual is probably the best for your needs (y)
I found that my local library can get the manual you refer to through the provincial library system and I just placed a hold on it.

I can buy it on eBay for about $31 used, which isn't bad - maybe I'll go that route.

Is this manual pretty generic (since it ranges from 80cc to 350cc from 1966-2001)? Too bad I couldn't find a more model and year specific manual.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes , engine wise it covers a lot of bikes that are the same mechanically, I have the same Manual in paperback, you will find it very useful (y)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Congratulations on a fine old motorcycle, These are very simple machines. My advice would be to take your time and do the work yourself. The cost to have a competent, experienced mechanic do the work will more than the machine is worth. You will almost certainly be able to find someone who will give you a low estimate, but almost without exception that will lead to disappointment. Take the project one step at a time and treat each step as a learning experience, enjoy the satisfaction of a learned new skill.

·
Super Moderator
2,150 Posts
I agree with Ropp that the Clymer manual is probably best. Even Kawasaki factory service manuals lump many similar models together. If you are in need of information you cannot find in the Clymer manual, give us a shout.

·
Super Moderator
2,150 Posts
Also, these bikes are getting hard to find and thus are rare and valuable. I wish I could find one to restore but they just don't come up for sale often. I have been looking for years without success. You have yourself a rare gem and I would do exactly as 1981GPz550 has suggested; Take your time, learn new skills and enjoy the process. We are here to help you through it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agree ^^^^^ and this manual is probably the best for your needs (y)
I found a few Clymer manuals on eBay. There's the one you suggested, plus this one (only up to 1980 though). My bike is a 1975 so it would work.

Comments?

·
Super Moderator
2,150 Posts
My preference is Partzilla mostly because I am used to it but it does have a useful feature in that it will show you all the different models that used the same part. After you find the part you are looking for an click on it, it will show you a list of what other models used that part. I have no affiliation with Partzilla.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Before" pictures"

My nephew bagged the parts he disassembled (he's a heavy duty mechanic, makes sense he'd do so).

I sure hope we have most or all the parts.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I popped the head off to see that the piston was about 1/2" to TDC...

We put the head back on, snugged down the nuts and filled the chamber with diesel fuel. There is no movement so it's either a seized piston or seized crankshaft.

Advice anyone?
My preference is Partzilla mostly because I am used to it but it does have a useful feature in that it will show you all the different models that used the same part. After you find the part you are looking for an click on it, it will show you a list of what other models used that part. I have no affiliation with Partzilla.

Hey WFO-KZ,

Why doesn't Partzilla list the G4TR-D for 1975? It lists a G4TR-E for 1975 but no G4TR-D... ??

What is the difference between the two bikes? I'm assuming not much...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would not use the kick starter to free the engine. Remove the head and using a block of wood tap on the piston until you get some movement. A Kawasaki mechanic I used to work with bent a rod on an H2 trying to turn over a hydro locked engine with the kick start. Also puts a lot of stress on the kick start components. A handy way to keep bolts and screws from getting lost and to ensure the proper length bolt is used is to draw a simple outline of the part on cardboard, mark each bolt hole and punch a small hole at each fastener location. Push fastener thru the proper hole and the cardboard will hold it securely.

·
Super Moderator
2,150 Posts
The alpha characters at the end of the model, indicate versions, which in your case follow the model years exactly.

So the G4TR-A was for 1971
G4TR-B was for 1972
G4TR-C was for 1973
G4TR-D (your bike) is a 1974.
Not sure why you think yours is a 1975 but possibly the bike was sold in 1975 and mistakenly registered as a 1975 model. So if you go back one model year to 1974 on Partzilla you will find the G4TR-D.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts