Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
It should take less than one hour to press apart the crank, fit the new pieces, press it back together again and then true it up afterwards. But it has to be done right, or your engine will vibrate like crazy. If your budget is tight then it may be cheapest to buy yourself some deglazing stones and do the cylinder yourself and farm out the crank to one of the shops you mention (if you trust them) and then take your cylinder to a good local welding shop.

Your head is probably fine, but if you know a machinist they could check it for you, or if you have a nice flat surface, you can check it yourself with some feeler gages or bluing.

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
I have never used vinegar for cleaning carbs but I can recommend it on french fries. 😁

·
Registered
14 Posts
Last night, I purchased a gasket set for my engine from "PartsNmore.com" for what appears to be a good deal. I bought a carb rebuild set too, total cost just over $80 CAD including shipping. Comments? Anyone deal with this part supplier?

The parts are for the 1976 KV100, I crossed referenced the parts and they appear to match up. I hope they match my bike.

Engine gasket set:

Carb kit:

I'm taking a chance, I hope they work for my bike.
Have to check out www.partsnmore.com for some electrical connectors. Thanks.

I have to follow this build thread. I am working on a 1976 KE100 my son picked up for $200 last summer. At least our piston turned over with the foot pedal. Electrical has been our issues. When the seller states "no spark" we should have walked away. We were going attach the exhaust to the bike a couple of weekends ago but discovered a broken bolt or stud at the exhaust port. Need a heated garage. Winnipeg at -30 is not to pleasant.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Have to check out www.partsnmore.com for some electrical connectors. Thanks.

I have to follow this build thread. I am working on a 1976 KE100 my son picked up for $200 last summer. At least our piston turned over with the foot pedal. Electrical has been our issues. When the seller states "no spark" we should have walked away. We were going attach the exhaust to the bike a couple of weekends ago but discovered a broken bolt or stud at the exhaust port. Need a heated garage. Winnipeg at -30 is not to pleasant.
Kevin Bergeron's YouTube channel has a pile of videos on spark/magneto/points/condenser troubleshooting.

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
Vinegar cleaning certainly seems to work according to Kevin, but I was concerned about what it does to the aluminum itself. According to this article you need to be very careful about how long you let it soak.

I had a set of carbs that had similar white residue and my ultrasonic had the bowls looking like new after about ten minutes. But a couple of key points: You need a heated bath style cleaner, and you need to use the right kind of cleaning solution. Plain water won't work well on carbs.

But I am intrigued by your vinegar experiment. I guess if vinegar works then a product like CLR should work also.
Please post your results.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Assuming everything else was in reasonably good condition and if the price was right I would never let a no spark condition stop me from purchasing a desirable old motorcycle. These were incredibly simple electrical systems. A bit of patience and proven diagnostic procedures and you will be up and running in no time. Several on this site who are very willing and competent to help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I've just learned I should have just bought an inexpensive Chinese knockoff carb instead (buyers remorse setting in)...

Can I back out of this eBay deal?

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
Some people have bought the cheap Chinese carb knock-offs and have declared them as junk. Even when replacing just the carb jets, there are cheap jets out there and there are good jets out there. I think generally you get what you pay for. Buyer beware I guess. Do your due diligence.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Some people have bought the cheap Chinese carb knock-offs and have declared them as junk. Even when replacing just the carb jets, there are cheap jets out there and there are good jets out there. I think generally you get what you pay for. Buyer beware I guess. Do your due diligence.
I hear you. I've cancelled my eBay transaction and am going to try the Chinese carbs.

121 - 140 of 147 Posts