Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

141 - 147 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
No progress on the exhaust until the spring melt. By then my brother's junk steel pile will be accessible to see where he threw the muffler... I sure hope we find it and it's still in salvageable condition.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Update:

1. I'm still waiting for bearings, seals, etc. to arrive from Partzilla so I can get some of the case assembled (should arrive by the end of the week). I'm also waiting for the crankshaft to be rebuilt as well as the cylinder being cleaned up and new rings installed on my old piston (should hopefully be done in 2 more weeks).

2. What sealant can I use to:
  • seal up the split case?
  • cylinder/case gasket?
  • side cases?

Permatex RTV sealant? Kevin Bergeron uses "Hondabond HT"...

3. Pressure test the sealed up split case / engine cylinder. Any advice? Kevin has a video about it:

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
Kawasaki wants you to use Kawasaki Bond. We always used Kawasaki Bond and never had any issues, but Hondabond is probably a similar product.

Permatex website says their RTV Clear is "Not recommended for engine gaskets". The Black stuff may be ok.

The only thing I have ever applied to a base gasket is a thin film of high temperature grease in the hopes that it would be easier to remove the next time. Same thing for the side cases. However if side case gasket surface is damaged, then I would look to use Kawasaki Bond there as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Kawasaki wants you to use Kawasaki Bond. We always used Kawasaki Bond and never had any issues, but Hondabond is probably a similar product.

Permatex website says their RTV Clear is "Not recommended for engine gaskets". The Black stuff may be ok.

The only thing I have ever applied to a base gasket is a thin film of high temperature grease in the hopes that it would be easier to remove the next time. Same thing for the side cases. However if side case gasket surface is damaged, then I would look to use Kawasaki Bond there as well.
Any tips on pressure testing? This video is pretty good too:

·
Super Moderator
1,639 Posts
I have to say I have never done this on a rebuild, but the only caution I have is keep pressure low, or you will blow out those brand new seals.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I have to say I have never done this on a rebuild, but the only caution I have is keep pressure low, or you will blow out those brand new seals.
Yeah good point. I'm still thinking how I'm going to rig up some type of hand pump pressure gauge apparatus like the scooter guy had suggested. I'll see what I have lying around.

141 - 147 of 147 Posts