Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls.. I am doing a rebuild on this engine....Just wondered if someone could help me out whit an issue....Are the cams,when put it back on,whit ign on the TDC mark,supposed to fall stright in,whitout touching any of the velve caps????

·
Registered
112 Posts
No, there’ll always be some valves open which is why it’s essential to tighten the valve caps down in sequence (inner caps first).

Once, when much younger, I didn’t follow the correct procedure on a Z650 and snapped a camshaft.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Just an FYI & you may already know this. You're supposed to install the camshaft caps back into their original positions. The 650 has matching numbers & arrows on the caps & cylinder head. But again, you may already know this from reading the manual & I'm assuming the 550 is machined & numbered the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply... Yes numbered and torque ok.....BUT.....When i hadd all timed and lined up right,i turned the engine two or three rounds,and when i got the timing mark on the ignition mark in TDC,the camshafts is NOT... Is it possible that the engine have a slack cz of the age????

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "slack cz" but what may have happened is that you did not have all of the chain slack pulled tight when you set the timing. Be very, very careful as you can bend valves if timing is off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is not uncommon for the exhaust cam line to be slightly off when the crank is positioned at tdc. This can be due to component wear or manufacturing variations. For this reason before I pull cams on a motorcycle or the timing belt on a car I start by lining up the crank marks and taking note of the cam position, saves a lot of guessing later on. Obviously it is too late for you to do this, just be aware that a small variation is common. As mentioned above take your time and double check everything. Never hurts to pull all the plugs and turn the engine over at least 720 degrees by hand before attempting to start after cam timing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes... Thanks.. Very helpful info... I am pretty sure i got this lined up very close to the w.s manual.. I will try starting it up today,and will get back to this fora to tell my story..... One very importantt thing i learned from this,the first time ever,i is about to time the heart of a motorcyckle,is.....because of the wear over years,you should not take the production settings as granted...but be smart,and make all marks for you self before deassembling.. as the mr 1981gpz550 wrote in his comment for my qestion... It will save you a LOTS of time and headboil :)

to be continued

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there :) Its been a while.... But,here it comes : I had to adjust my cams again,and it was 1 tooth at the sprocket,bad,cz of wear over the past it was really difficlt to find its right place...But in the end,i made it :) ... Im on my way out right now to give it a try...
But still....can someone help me out,to tell me how to set the fast idle,and the idle on it??? And please...tell me tthe diffference in a way that i can understand? Because i have the workshop manual,,in english,and really....whitout using the whole day to translate all the difficult english terms to norwegian???? Thanks folks :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: Been out taking the bike for a ride... Everything is now as good as it gets,concidering the wear in hands .. Thanks for all help.. Really apreciate it.. Regards & Peace out :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts