Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a post or 2 on this problem occurring in the winter but I am having this trouble in 90 degree heat. Changed the fuel pump, blew the vent lines out can't solve the problem. Any ideas? I can get it to run & the oil dip stick to stay in place after disconnecting the vent lines & turning the engine over while holding the dipstick plug in place. And, it will run for a short time & start blowing the dip stick out all over again & the engine quits. Sprays oil all over each time. Engine has 275 easy hours on it & the engine oil regularly replaced. Again I'd appreciate any ideas as to the fix? Everything is so hard to reach on this UTV that it is terrible. Even checking the oil is difficult with the ridiculous location of the dipstick!

·
988 Posts
For that much pressure in your crankcase, I would look for a leak from your combustion chamber into your crankcase.
Start with a compression test and do a leakdown test if you can get a hold of a tester.

·
Registered
939 Posts
the dipstick on those has a rubber seal. The original had a tendency to shrink over time and use, and then the stick would just fall out due to normal crankcase pulsing. The replacement dip stick is a different type rubber and it is much more resilient to heat/oil/etc.

it is possible that the stick being loose can contribute to oil contamination due to allowing air (and moisture) into the crankcase while running.

I think a lot of people get the wrong idea with these things. They are one cylinder. Car engines (4,6,8,10 cyl) usually have at least 2 pistons going in opposite directions, thus there is little crankcase pulsing. Particularly on 8 cylinder engines and also on 4 cylinder engines. A single cylinder is a completely different animal, when the piston is on the down stroke air is being displaced, then when it goes back up, air is being displaced the opposite direction. Suction and pressure in a very very fast frequency, makes all sorts of weird things happen--including (and not limited to) making us humans wonder why so much air is coming out of the crankcase while it's running. The pulsing, also robs power...as evidenced by the 2014 ZX10R's change in the crankcase/cylinder block which gave opposing pistons a pathway for some of the air to follow through, causing a subsequent increase in power at higher RPM. You wouldn't think it'd work but it does, in more ways than one. Ring seal is also affected ;)

·
988 Posts
That makes sense and would be a very simple, cheap fix. I hope Michael 51 reports back the results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts