Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a Kawasaki Mule. I think it's 2510? I have no spark on the rear cylinder. I have removed the plug cap and checked for fire at the coil end. I have no spark. It will run on one cylinder. The coils are fun to get to. Any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If one coil sparks and the other does not, it can be either a bad coil or the pulsing coil assembly is failing.

Generally if one coil works the igniter is still good, so I would remove the pulsing coil assembly and the ignition coils and have them tested by a Kawasaki dealer if you do not have the proper test equipment and the service manual so you know how to test without damaging the igniter.

Sometimes it is the fuel pump or fuel pump relay starting to fail and pulling too much power, as it is powered off one of the coil terminals. That can be tested by letting the pump run enough to fill the carburetor, then disconnect its leads and check to see if it runs on both cylinders.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your response. I do have the manual but it is not real clear. I know where the coils are I just need to find the igniter. The coils are very hard to get to....thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked the ohms on the pickup coils on the flywheel. They are identical. I can not get a reading on either coil for the primary. The secondarys within spec. I take a reading from where the plug wire comes out and to the ground and nothing.Both coils are removed at this point. Am I missing something? The pictures in the service manual are not that clear.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If you take a look at the parts diagrams on Kawasaki.com, you can get an idea of what the igniter looks like.

You sometimes have to be creative to find the parts, as they are listed in major sub-assemblies such as ignition or generator. But, they are there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can not find the vin # . I have looked several times where the manual suggested but nothing. I need to find out the year. It is red and black. Any thoughts? thanks.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
On Kawasaki.com, in the Owner Info tab is a link that will assist you in finding the VIN. They also have a series of photos that will help you identify the model, so you can narrow the search.

However, you really do not need the VIN to identify the major parts groups. Just pick any year that fits within the model you believe you have, then take a look at the parts in question.

Where it gets important to be in the correct year in your model sequence is when you work on the carburetor on the 620 engined versions. But even then you can sort out which carburetor you have by carefully inspecting yours and comparing it to the parts diagrams.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts