Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if anyone has topped out the 250R yet and if so..... what was the top speed that you attained? I'm just a beginner but i want a bike that has some balls. I was going to get a 600cc but my dad said that it was too big of a bike(I'm only 18). So i was wondering if you people that have riden the 250 have any insight about the bike. Right now i live in Calgary Canada. This city has a lot of straight roads but im not going to buy my bike here..... I'm going to buy my bike in Ireland which is an insanely small country that has a lot of mountains.... so i was wondering if the 250 would be the best choice.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was thinking you were a pretty good typist for being 1. Check out this topic: http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=905. But keep in mind that we don't condone speeding at this forum.

If you want to know if the 250R has balls, the answer is that it doesn't have as much as the 500, but it has more than you. It can get up and talk if you know how to ask it. There are very, very few riders that are limited by their bikes. Just about any bike is engineered to be a quite capable machine. The reason the bikes don't do more is because most riders (myself included) don't have the skill to really use what the bike can give. That takes years of practice and formal training. Note that I said, "and."

And as for top speed, it's 70mph. It's the same as a 500R, and the same as a 636, and the same as a 1200. That's the fastest anything can go in Minnesota, and my 250 handles it easily. I have very rarely done more than that, and the bike still has plenty of power. So what's the purpose of a bigger engine?

Is it to beat cars when the light turns green? My 250 can do that. My car is a Lexus LS400, and it can beat most cars on the road, but my 250 can beat the Lexus without even breaking a sweat.

Now if peer pressure is a problem for you, just get yourself a couple of stickers that say 600, and slap one on each side. The bike could pass for a 600 unless you're talking to someone who really knows his stuff. And if someone has to ask you the engine size when they're standing right beside the bike, it's because they don't know their stuff. It happens to me all the time.

Curt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ninja 250R

Curt, that's the most sense I've heard in a long time. So many of my riding buddies keep saying they want a bigger bike and I keep telling them that all you need is something that can go freeway speeds. Good to hear someone else passing along good advice.

Also, if anyone ever says that the 250 is too small, remind them that skill means everything. Valentino Rossi on a 250 could kick the ass of anyone on a litre bike.

Something else to think about is braking. You get a Ninja 500 up over 100 then you better have a lot of time to brake if anything comes across your path because that little single disc up front needs plenty of time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, the physics of braking is interesting. If you remember high school physics, KE=1/2*m*v^2. But W=f*d. So the kinetic energy of a bike increases as the square of the velocity. But the braking power increases linearly. So that means that stopping distance at 100mph is four times what it is at 50mph. That's a long way!

Want to see how a bike looks after the unexpected happens? Lookup deerwreck.wmv on http//www.google.com. It's pretty ugly and it happens very fast.
Curt

W

·
0 Posts
Remember:-

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots,
But there are no old AND bold pilots.

Max her out on a race track, she should be good for 120+

Cheers,
Wanderingoffagain

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NICE ANSWER!!!

Skills, knowledge and equipment...all toghether...My Interstate speeds are 70MPH for about 3 miles then because of the population decrease to 65MPH then about 10 more miles decrease to 60...and someplaces in the City on teh major 6 lane curves it drops to 35MPH. On our Old US Highway systems it's mostly 55 and 45 MPH but the roads aren't straight and flat, in fact some of the hills and curves the speeds are only 35 because of hilltopping or to tight of a turn for anything to grip the road! Gee, what a great place for a motorcycle...and maintaining your skills. Now If I could only find some real SPORT tires for my NINJA 250R I could install them before I hit the road with her. A NINJA 250R (EX250) has more than enough power/speed/stamina to do anything LEGAL on the highway or interstate. Having reduced weight and a slightly smaller/shorter size/stature allows this bike certain advantages over the "larger more powerful" bikes. My 1974 Camaro, with a reworked engine, fully adjustable racing sway bars, and tires......can't keep up with the bike on take-offs, or tight roads. It has a faster top end...but at 13miles per gallon...it's just not as much fun as the bike!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
If I was your Dad, after reading your post Noreaga, I would reneg on any bike for you.

You're coming at this for all the wrong reasons, you just don't get "the ride".

At least get training, don't worry about the capabilities of the bike, it's your capabilities that you should worry about. Get the 250 to start and after a year or two if you're still alive then you'll be able to get any bike you want.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Uncle Bob said:
If I was your Dad, after reading your post Noreaga, I would reneg on any bike for you.

You're coming at this for all the wrong reasons, you just don't get "the ride".

At least get training, don't worry about the capabilities of the bike, it's your capabilities that you should worry about. Get the 250 to start and after a year or two if you're still alive then you'll be able to get any bike you want.
I second that! It seems a little harsh at first, but really we wouldn't want to read a post about you spreading yourself out along a highway or something. Be careful, don't worry about the bike so much, worry about what your gonna do with it. Keep you head on and ride to ride, don't ride to see how fast you'll be able to go. All that other stuff will come with time and experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Practice

Take the MSF course (don't learn from a friend) and then practice, practice, practice! I made the mistake of not practicing enough and i wasn't ready for an emergency and it cost me my bike.

These guys are right. Any bike will do and the 250 is a great Ninja. It's plenty fast in the right hands. After a few months you'll feel invinsible on it and want a screaming ZX-10R, but hold off another year or two. Every rider goes through that feeling--some don't make it out alive.

The great thing about buying your bike in Ireland as oppossed to N. America is the variety of bikes available in the Europe. You have so many more sub-600cc options. If I was as lucky as you, I'd buy the ZRX400. That bike is all retro and just kicks ass. It has dual front disc brakes and even I think it even has dual rear springs.

Lastly, get frame sliders right away. You're likely to drop your first bike and you'll want to protect that frame/engine case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
top speed

Hey I was wondering if anyone has topped out the 250R yet and if so..... what was the top speed that you attained? I'm just a beginner but i want a bike that has some balls. I was going to get a 600cc but my dad said that it was too big of a bike(I'm only 18). So i was wondering if you people that have riden the 250 have any insight about the bike. Right now i live in Calgary Canada. This city has a lot of straight roads but im not going to buy my bike here..... I'm going to buy my bike in Ireland which is an insanely small country that has a lot of mountains.... so i was wondering if the 250 would be the best choice.
the answer is not the same for all that ride the ninja 250, in my case i have toped the speedo at 130mph approx 14,500 rpm still had some throtel. concerning mountain terrains and curvy roads it handles verry well here in the north west, climbing and decending from sea level to 1300 ft no problem i have riden the bike 257 miles in a single trip using one tank of fuel and some reserve.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
From what I have heard smaller bikes (125cc and 250cc) are more common in Europe and the UK. Also, there are some rules about licensing over there so you might have to start out smaller anyway. I think they call it tiered licensing. So check out the rules in Ireland before you go. Look at this link:

Motorcycle Rider Training Ireland

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
Arrrgghhh. I hate when that happens.
lol I hate when I read the whole **** thing before realizing what happened :p

At least this one was entertaining... I was like oh jeeze another statistic-in-waiting asking about top speeds on a sport bike.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
the answer is not the same for all that ride the ninja 250, in my case i have toped the speedo at 130mph approx 14,500 rpm still had some throtel. concerning mountain terrains and curvy roads it handles verry well here in the north west, climbing and decending from sea level to 1300 ft no problem i have riden the bike 257 miles in a single trip using one tank of fuel and some reserve.
I dunno which is more funny, the age of the thread or 130+ out of a 250 :oops:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
He did 130+ going down hill, something like a cliff, with the wind pushing him. Either that or he has one bad *** 250. lol I have topped mine out one time (I will never do it again, it scared the **** out of me) I only got to 115 indicated and I weigh a mear 125lbs and top out at a mear 5'4"

1 - 20 of 34 Posts