Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FIRST OF ALL...I see a lot of people writing about the NINJA 250R being underpowered...I don't think that if you have really ridden one (PROPERLY) that you would have that opinion! The NINJA 250R has a REDLINE of 14,000RPM and it too, is water cooled. It doesn't have the Bottom-end Torque that the larger bikes have, but give it its due, take one out for a spin if you trust your friend riding your what-ever bike and wrap it out and see what happens; when all of a sudden the power rolls on at 9,000RPM and carries you on up to 13,000RPM...yeah, I know redline is 14,000RPM...check out the real thing...or at least if you are going to hide behind a keyboard and talk about the bike, check out the stats on the bike. The ONLY difference between Ignorance and Stupidity is Knowledge. The NINJA 250R is truely a NINJA, it is NOT a want-to-be!

Although I have no feeling in my feet and legs, I'm still looking for a NINJA 500R for both physical & mental therapy. I walk, I can ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 2004 250 Ninja and can't wait until spring to see what she'll do.

Due to the cold weather here I've only been able to put a couple of miles on it so far. I had a CFR230 Honda 4 stoke dirt bike and it hauled my butt over the hills with no problems so I'm not the least bit concerned about the 250 Ninja being under powered for my style of riding.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KUNG FUsion

Nice touch...screen name under the seat! I see all the guessing about the NINJA 250R and most of the people polled in real life don't have aclue even where the power comes on on the "Little Ninja." It's not a secret that it doesn't really start till 9,000RPM...where most of the people would just about start shifting...they should be taking it on up to about the 13,000mark...it's made to stand this and you can either take one for a ride or look at the paperwork and understand it. It may be small...but C'mon NINJA 250R rider...rally and get on the keyboard and let these people on the FORUM know what the NINJA 250R is all about! BRING IT ON!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
A 250 Ninja may be fine for some people. I know that if I got one, it would be underpowered in the respect that I would get comfortable with it real quick. Once I don't respect the bike, that's when I start to play, and bad things would happen. Plus, I like the low end torque. In no way could a 250 ever compete with a 500 or 600. It's all a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
COMPETITION NINJA 250R Versus NINJA 500R

I don't have either one right now...but I'd take a bet that the NINJA 250R would stomp a NINJA 500R on a closed course setup like the MSF has setup...Cones, stopping, figure 8's, braking from speed...I love the slalom course...OF course if it was a really tight course...it would be fun...on the open road, or on a race track, the NINJA 500R definately has the P/W ratio advantage...ah, but the roads are not always open like interstates or the NINJA 250R would have died a long time ago. I personally love mountain roads, steep, switchbacks, like in CA, OR, NV, WA..actually either one of the mountain ranges that we have...and either coast line roads that we have still today. VA, WV, TN, NC, SC, TN, AR...Not picking on you...not a personal attack...it's just a great NINJA and Sometimes it just doesn't get ANY respect...even from it's own Kawasaki Forum or fellow Kawasaki Riders. A serviceman in Hawaii, my last duty station was having a bad time with his brand new NINJA 250R on the course...and asked me tto show him (really show him) how it handled and worked the course. I was riding a Kawasaki 175 dirt biek so I took the bike and showed him..after messing around with it a little...I was really impressed, and So was the owner. The first time ever I rode it I had a personal best on time that it takes to go the distance without leaving the line or putting a foot down. I actually stopped the bike three times and sat there waiting to let the clutch out to start crawling forward again...In the slalom course the bike just flicks like a dream...it was like nt having a bike rather a luge under you...I love the bike. For my application out her on teh farm and going to the city I could "get by" with a NINJA 250R, but sometimes I really need to get to and from the hospital in a hurry...and I would prefer the NINJA 500R. I may take some long road rides, and the 500R would be prefered there too because the distance traveled from Kansas to Texas would be way to long if I took the back roads. I'm not so sure that I want to wrap a NINJA 250R out to 75 and hold her there for 14 hours straight each way. Although I suppose she could handle it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice Bike Kung Fusion

8) People ask me what kind of bike I ride and I say "An 03 Ninja." then they ask what size and I say "A 250" then they usually laugh at me, and tell me things like, "It's a moped" or "a 250?, that's pretty weak". I don't see why all these people who have never ridden a Ninja 250 could ever possibly know so much about them. If you ever get a chance look up the 0-60 times and top speeds for some of these *badass* cruisers out there. Then think about trying to "flick" a 600lb machine through some good tight twisties. Granted, I bet those cruisers are great on the highway, but in the tight stuff, the ninjette owns them. Kung Fusion I seen you on the Ninja 250 board. Nice bike, bro.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kawasaki NINJA 250R!

Right on Fellow Forum Friend! I say put the word out to ALL the FORUM NINJA 250R riders and let them tell us about their bikes! Give it Credit and let the Forum Flounder around as they would on the twisty windy switchbacks, meanwhile the Kawasaki NINJA 250R flawlessly Flicks, with the fearless, fatuous finesse of Fashion and fate, that fascinates all, without Fatigue. Failing to continue the "F" words...
Lets ROCK the FORUM with NINJA 250R stories. A NINJA is NOT a BEGINNERS BIKE! An ELIMINATOR 125 may be...
GO Kawasaki NINJA 250R owners and riders set the Forum straight!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i don't think anybody here has bashed the 250-its a great bike! but lets face it -its a beginner
bike at best - the only drawback to the 250 is its weight,that's why you can sling it around so much-the bike has its place in certain riding conditions and will dominate in short runs and tight spots-but try it in a 30mph crosswind at highway speeds.folks buying a go fast bike want a go fast bike generally,that's where the 500 steps in, and frankly the 250 just runs out of steam on the top end,
i believe this bike is right at home on the track but i sure would hate to ride one 250 miles to the mountains and back :D there's are reason you see more 500's on the road than 250's :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
For anyone just starting to ride it's definitely a better choice to go with a smaller bike. You wouldn't recommend a beginner to get anything bigger than a 500. For those beginners a 250 or 500 is a good choice. That's not to say that choosing a 250 or 500 is only for beginners. There are 250/500 riders on here that are not beginners and still love their Ninja's, and they know how to ride them to their full potential.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NINJA 250R IS NOT A TOY!

When I see comments like the NINJA 250R or the NINJA 500R are great for beginners I get a LOT annoyed! The Federal Speed LIMIT is only a portion (about 65-70%) of what the NINJA 250R will do. Most of the Beginners on this FORUM live, WHERE? Do we even know? IF they live in the city and don't have the interstate to do any commuting then a 250 is more ahn enough bike to not only learn on but to be safe, save all sorts of cash, and IF they are not great learners they will find themselves in grave danger with a NINJA 500R or anything larger. I'd like to have a ZX 1200 R, even with the short amount of 70MPH Interstate that we have. I have raced on the track and I have RESPECT for power. The NINJA 250R is a NINJA. IT hauls some serious speed if you compare it to city and suburban speed limits and it is an excelent bike for not only these areas but especially the mountains and the coastal roads that we have both east and west coasts. There are roads where the NINJA 250R would slay hands down a ZX 1200 R. I know your intentions are good for some of the beginners out there, but if they want to stay safe and really learn on their own bike suggest the ELIMINATOR 125. It will still break the Maximum Speed LIMIT as well. I'M Not upset with you trying to sell/give your advice to the newbies, but if they will never get out of the city then a 500/larger could cause them lots of grief, and insurance and fuel mileage and maintenance...the NINJA 250 is only a serious machine when they learn that the power is in the UPPER RPM Range... Let's face it too, if they are not mature enough to handle the speed, and they WILL experiment...then the 250 is a heck of a lot safer!
C'mon NINJA 250R riders...Speak up and tell the Forum and the NEWBIES about the NINJA 250R!

·
Registered
594 Posts
lol. I like the little 250r. But there is a point where you will want to upgrade. I don't think my little 250r could handle a trip across state(s). I will admit i am still a noob on my 250r. But im an upper noob riding for 4-5 months now.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
KUNG FUsion said:
I bought a 2004 250 Ninja and can't wait until spring to see what she'll do.

Due to the cold weather here I've only been able to put a couple of miles on it so far. I had a CFR230 Honda 4 stoke dirt bike and it hauled my butt over the hills with no problems so I'm not the least bit concerned about the 250 Ninja being under powered for my style of riding.

Nice ride. The decals set it off.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
14k rpm redline!

I whish my 13 yr old 500 had that! My red is at 11k and cruise at the bottom of my power band (5.5k)

I loove taking it up to 10k! I try to indulge myself whenever I can (can only really do it while getting onto the freeway) or on some twisties!

I havent ridden since thursday! ahhh!!!!!!!!!!! I need to ride! and it stopped raining too!

Having your your sn as a sticker on your bike..... Thats awesome! I am seriously considering I really like it!

However I will wait untill I get my new bike (a 04 zzr 600) hopefully at the end of this year. I think that thmastr would look kinda funny on a 13 yr old sports bike!

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
first of all, to KUNG FUsion...nice job, thats one of the nicest 250s i've seen

bikeaholic said:
i don't think anybody here has bashed the 250-its a great bike! but lets face it -its a beginner
bike at best - the only drawback to the 250 is its weight,that's why you can sling it around so much-the bike has its place in certain riding conditions and will dominate in short runs and tight spots-but try it in a 30mph crosswind at highway speeds.folks buying a go fast bike want a go fast bike generally,that's where the 500 steps in, and frankly the 250 just runs out of steam on the top end,
i believe this bike is right at home on the track but i sure would hate to ride one 250 miles to the mountains and back :D there's are reason you see more 500's on the road than 250's :wink:
+1 i think the last forum on the web to find any sort of bashing is here.

anonymous said:
When I see comments like the NINJA 250R or the NINJA 500R are great for beginners I get a LOT annoyed!
lol straight from kawi
The Ninja 250R provides easy-handling agility, a lightweight presence, and ownership costs that make this Ninja model one to be considered when shopping for product in the entry-level sportbike category.

anonymous said:
C'mon NINJA 250R riders...Speak up and tell the Forum and the NEWBIES about the NINJA 250R!

·
Registered
5 Posts
this ninja 250 will and has smoked a 500

i have a few mods on my lil ninja .. one of which is nos ..i know ..i know i have heard it all ... why even bother ..but thats like saying why bother buying a 600cc when you can get a 900cc or why the 900 when you can get a 1000 or you should scrap them all and get a busa ...point of view i guess ..people as why you put nos on a 250 ..and i say have you ever used nos on a 250 they say no ..ok then ...of course nos didn't work out well for the ninja until i changed suspension ( sv-650 rear shock & ex500 fork springs)
my top speed now is very close to 130 and thats tested with a R6 few other mods i'm not goin to mention right now but people say ...why not just get a 600 ... BECAUSE I DON'T WANT ONE !!! and if i was goin for raw power it wouldn't be some lil 600cc toy bike i would get ...and when some of you guys pull up beside me be careful because i would hate for you to get beat by a ninja 250 and i always say .yup ..it's just stock

Attachments

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts

I love the Little Ninja's, I'd still have one in my garage right now if I could have afforded to keep it. :D

Nice bike, welcome to the forums. Get some flushmounts on that Ninja. ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Tod: where do you find those "dead thread" pics!? They're hilarious!

lil_bit_fast: How much of a shot of NOS do you use? I don't want to look extremely stupid when I ask my question so let me give you some background: I know very little about combustion engines. What I learned about them I learned from Wikipedia. My brother has described how NOS works (he had it in his little 2-door sentra years back) and the gist of what he said was that NOS will eventually widen the bore which means that the engine block becomes a useless piece of metal over number of usages--he was very specific to mention that it's not a function of time but that wear-and-tear is a matter of usage. So here's my question:

How many times do you think you'll be able to use the NOS before the engine goes? Thanks for not laughing at me.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Some I find, some I make myself.

All in the name of entertainment. ;-)

1 - 20 of 144 Posts