Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a real new rider, and I've only probably ridden this bike for about 50 - 100 miles since I got it a couple of months ago (due to the weather). Now it won't start after having left it alone for 2 weeks. I rode the bike last Saturday, and today it won't start, and the thing is, it hasn't even been that cold. I am not sure what it is, and I'm wondering if there is something I can do.

It is cranking a little bit, but then after a while it sounds like the battery is drained and can't crank anymore. I don't hold it down much because that can **** out the spark plugs I think, but I'm not sure. It sounds sounds like it is cranking, but doesn't sound like it is taking fuel. I put stabilizer in the fuel, but the fuel hasn't been changed or used up in quite a while. I don't know much about bike stuff, but it might be the carbs, it might be the fuel lines, and I'm not sure where to start. Right now I am recharging the battery to give it a fresh go and I'll probably run it again tonight. Can somebody give me some ideas. If I have to clean the carbs that is going to be really intimidating for me. I have a Clymers book, but I don't know much about the mechanics of a bike. Please help with whatever suggestions you can give. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Engine emergency stop switch may be off
bad battery
fuel line clogged
spark plugs fouled time for new ones
fuel broken down drain fuel add new
I hope this help
later stathe6R

·
Registered
159 Posts
wont start NYC

Hi:
Im in Staten Island. Listen, dont crank it too much or you will burn out the starter. Make sure your getting spark. Dont go crazy with the carbs, you could be making for more problems than you have. Make sure the emergency shutoff is on. Remove the plugs and check to see if they are wet. If so, replace them. You may have flooded the engine at one time and just continue to do so as you try to start it over and over again. Check the fuel. Make sure it is good. If the bike is outside, maybe some rotten -*&$##! put water in the tank. If it ran two weeks ago, it should run now. Its probably just flooded. dont crank it with the choke on too long, and by all means DONT CRANK IT FOR MORE THAN 15 SECONDS AT A TIME WITHOUT LETTING THE STARTER COOL OFF. I knew a guy with a boat with 2 engines that went through 6 starters before he asked me for help. He forgot to turn the fuel shutoffs ON. It happens.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. It's good to know somebody else is suffering the sub-zero temperature I am as well. A couple of things. I've never had the bike parked in public so I'm sure there hasn't been tampering. The emergency shutoff is definitely not on since I turn the bike off with the shutoff and not the key.

...but eventually I took the battery out and recharged/de-sulphinated it and it started the next time out. I don't think the battery was dead or anything, it actually only charged for about 10 hours before it was fully charged again, though that definitely at least means it wasn't 100%. I think it might have been a combination of the cold and inactivity that sapped just enough power from the battery to keep it from starting. I'll take a look at the sparks to the next time it gets above 40 degrees. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I Hate The Cold

Hi.
I hate the cold. the wife says the winter gives you something to look forward to. Yeah, it ending. What a philosiphy. I dont know your bike, but today with all the electronics, you need a fully charged battery to produce enough spark to start. Remember, the ignigion system is mostly electronic and when you take current out of the battery for the starter, and in winter it uses more current due to the thick oil and the starter has to work harder, you may not be getting enough current to the ignition system. Get a battery tender to keep your battery always topped off. Stay Warm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts