Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, so I just bought a used 06 ninja not too long ago. I've been using it as a side vehicle and been trying to get comfortable riding it. I took it for a spin in the Texas heat on Friday. Worked great, but idles at about 3k. That's not the problem though. The problem is that after I rode the thing on Friday I washed it down. Since then, the bike hasn't started. I turn the key, lights come on, but the solenoid just keeps clicking and no running. I cleaned the carbs thinking this was the problem, still no fix. I read on a previous post that connecting the solenoid with a screwdriver would help. Tried that, I heard the starter click a few times, then nothing. Now, whenever I start it, the only thing I hear is the solenoid clicking. Can anyone help me out, this is my first bike and I want to ride it so bad. I'm thinking it's either the battery or starter. Keep in mind, I've ridden this bike about 8 or 9 times before this.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
If it failed to start after washing it, connect the dots. Something electric or electronic got wet and didn't like it most likely.

But, in cases like this, always make sure the battery is charged and will pass a load test to begin with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When you say "whenever I start it, the only thing I hear is the solenoid clicking", do you mean the engine doesn't turn over? If so then after confirming the engine isn't locked up (high gear and rock the bike watching for engine movement) I would concentrate on the starter, it's power/gnd connections, the battery and it's connections and the starter relay (internal contacts). If the engine turns over o.k. then it sounds like a lack of power somewhere due to bad battery cell(S), tarnished or loose connection at the battery or starter, or starter relay contacts. Bad contacts can show switched power going through o.k. but lacking in current capability. Put a multi-meter on the output side (going toward the starter) and watch for 12v voltage drop out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts