Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine asked me to come over and help him with a wiring problem on his Yamah Vstar 1100. Just an impression but while working with the turn signal units and headlight etc. it became very obvious that my Nomad is quite a step above his Yamaha. I just happend onto my Nomad 3 years ago when I decided to get back into biking. I am pretty sure that for once in my life I stumbled onto what I would have eventually gotten down the line after trading up a couple of times. A nice change.

For those of you who own the Yamaha I am sure you are very happy but the subtle little differences like metal parts not chrome covered plastic etc. is what I am talking about. His turn signals were filled with water and had rusted the bulb and receiver, it just looked like poor workmanship in some areas. Later.:biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
We have both a Kawy (my V2K) and a Yamaha (Tracy's VStar 1100) in our garage, and to be honest I can't find any real noticeable worthwile differences.

We did replace the turn signals on the VStar with Vulcan ones, but only because the Yamaha ones are so darn ugly.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
We have both a Kawy (my V2K) and a Yamaha (Tracy's VStar 1100) in our garage, and to be honest I can't find any real noticeable worthwile differences.

We did replace the turn signals on the VStar with Vulcan ones, but only because the Yamaha ones are so darn ugly.
I also have A 1500 VULCAN, and a V-Star, and I think they are both right up there with comparable quality.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
We have M95 and a Vstar and I like them both. Oil changes on the VStar are a pain in the butt though.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
We have M95 and a Vstar and I like them both. Oil changes on the VStar are a pain in the butt though.
Forgot about that :eek: On my Vstar there is one bolt down by my cobra's that is a pain to remove and replace. You are absolutely right on that one!!!

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
I really like my Yam 1100, not really alot of chrome plastics. I did do alot of aftermarket things, one being the oil filter relocation kit. At the time I got it, the choice was either S,M,L went with medium. I don't recall Kawi having bigger than 800 or smaller than 1500. Either that or I didn't like the styling then. This was in 01...and Yam had a very good write up for the bike.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have owned Kawi, and Yami bikes.....they both appear to be of good quality.
I would actually rate Honda slightly higher, but its not drastically better either.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just see the vstar as a good transition bike, lots to choose from, lots of bling available off the shelf, but in the end most people I have known with one move on to a bigger bike, usually a honda or Kawasaki. Just an observation.

·
Registered
137 Posts
In this age of modern manufacturing techniques I think all the major makers produce very high quality products. There are usually a few minor differences in some of the small add on items like lamps and mirrors (often provided by a secondary provider) but overall they are pretty even.

I think if you have a bike from any of the major makers you have an quality machine that you can take pride in and the major differences that divide us are asthetic ones.

Much different than when I was a kid and some brands were at best rattle traps and at worst a risk to life and limb on the highway.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I've owned most of the major brands and have had some problems with all of them, none are perfect. So far the 900 seems to be the best quality. I ride in all weather. When I first bought the bike it rained for about 3 weeks straight and I rode it every day. It sat in the rain all day until I went home. No leaks, no rusting problems that I have found. You may not like plastichrome, but mine looks brand new and all that water, mud and grime have no effect on it at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts