Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my bike out the other day , on a full tank I got 128 miles on a 4 gallon tank , I'm thinking the previous owner changed the pipes , but didn't rejet the carbs , can this cause bad gas mileage ? thank you .

·
Administrator
4,457 Posts
Pipes usually want bigger jets so they can drink more fuel. Chances are good that the previous owner did re-jet, and you are paying for the sound/performance of the new pipes with lower gas mileage.

·
Registered
353 Posts
And think about that, Performance is all about making it more efficient so you get more power. If your mileage drops, how is that better performance? (assuming you were riding normally,,,)

As for the low mileage, could be a fluke if you made no recent changes, maybe a higher ethanol content in the last fill-up, choke lever stuck on, fighting a headwind,,, lots of possibilities... If it does it 3 tanks in a row, then maybe I'd start looking at things.

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
IIRC, it's been a long time, but yes, with factory jets and pipes that's about what I'd get on my '03 800B. From full to needing reserve was 110-120. Reserve was only like 1/2 gallon or so, not much at all.

Reactions: WFO-KZ
1 - 5 of 5 Posts