Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, went for my test ride today with the Kawasaki Days on the new voyager. a funny thing I learned, you show up wearing a patch at a metric event, people want to come up and speak to you, plus you get some special benefits, kinda cool.

Not only did I get to do the little around the block thing, I got to go on an extended ride and really kinda check it out.

First impression, sitting on it, it's one of the few bikes I have sat on that seems to really fit me, not only in the leg length, which I have plenty of, but also the torso and arm reach ( which I seem to lack)

The instrument cluster is actually very visible, for my build, a quick flick of the eyes I could take in everything. The initial feel for comfort continued, even straight stock, I could find no wrong.

If I wanted to be picky, I would pull the bars back a 1/4 to 1/2 inch, but not a big deal.

It does look a little plasticy, but overall not too bad.

I was a little worried about the linked braking after the parking lot speed, but I am so programmed to use both brakes, I didnt have an opportunity to see how they really work, I would bet for a newer rider, they would love it.

I also didn't get the opportunity to lay on the brakes and test the ABS ( dammit)

The ride - It does feel a touch top heavy compared to a road star or street glide, but nothing in my ride I overly noticed. The throttle response is smooth, but remember, I have only ever ridden carb'ed bikes, so any EFI would feel very smooth to me.

It wasn't too bad in parking lot manuvers, I wasn't impressed, wasn't disappointed, it was just like most any other bike.

Once I got on the main road, and ove 25, it felt agile, and flickable. It rode smooth, and comfortably. It definetly needed some real pipes though.

The highway, strangely this was where I became disappointed. It accelerated quickly, throttle response was very instant...but...

I felt like I was in a Honda Civic, the fairing worked too well with the bikes design and my height. I could barely feel any wind, and could probably hold a conversation with a passanger.

Yes, I realize the reason for a fairing or a windshield is to block wind, but I want a little in my face, a chop of the shield would be in order. As everyone knows, I like cranking some tunes on the highway, I would see about replacing the speakers with some better quality.

A taller rider, 6 foot plus I would think would be frustrated with this bike, unless they could seriously adjust it, which I forgot to look at .

Shorter riders, down to about 5'5" would probably be good with a handlebar adjustment and windshield chop....any shorter, I don't know

Overall, it seemed like a great bike, just not for me. Theres just something missing, what, I don't know, it just felt like I might as well be in a car. The thing to remember, I do ride an air cooled bike with pipes, so something that doesnt shake a little, and is quiet, would seem off to me

Someone who lusts for a goldwing, but doesnt have the cash, this would be a good compromise. I also believe they might have been targeting women riders who like the full dresser idea, but an electra glide or road king scares them.

For the cash similarity, I believe I would stick with a street glide, not saying anything wrong with either bike, but I want to feel like I am on a bike, not a 2 wheel car.

For everyone else, its a neat bike, you couldn't go wrong buying it, as long as there are no recall issues, as it is new.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I believe the Voyager has a power adjustable windshield. You can tilt it up and down. I believe (like most), as you tilt it down, it also slides down a bit, making it seem a bit shorter as well as more angled.

It was probably set all the way up - in "comfort mode" so to speak...

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could be, I was focusing on the ride and mechanics and not the features, its a great bike......maybe with some pipes it would vibrate a little...lol

·
Playday Rider
238 Posts
I believe the Voyager has a power adjustable windshield. You can tilt it up and down. I believe (like most), as you tilt it down, it also slides down a bit, making it seem a bit shorter as well as more angled.

It was probably set all the way up - in "comfort mode" so to speak...
No, don't think so. I too complain about the height of this windshiled. I'm 5'10 and the top is right at eye level. I have the service manual, there is no indication of any "adjustment" (at least that I can see) It's either on or off. There are 3 other kawasaki windshields available for it though, I just ordered a replacement windshield for it for under a hundred bucks. So not a big deal. I imagine they could be fairly easily cut down as well, for someone experienced in this type of cutting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts