Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. My Vulcan 800 has the cvk g200 carb on it. Im pretty sure its a 97 or 98 model. i hadnt had for long. anyway here is my problem, let me know if you know how to fix this. Thank you

The bike was running fine for 3 months. it got rained on (but that might not have anything to do with problem). The next time i rode it, the bike cranked fine with choke on. the minute i touch the throttle, the carb sounds like its sucking air really hard and the bike shuts off. as long as i dont touch the throttle and leave the choke on everything is good. what could be causing this. If you know, please explain and if you have any pictures that can help fix this problem, please email me. thanks [email protected]

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
walkertr,

Welcome to the forum!!!!! you came to the right place for answers!!!!!!!! There is a pretty big group of Vulcan riders up here and lots of people with mechanical knowledge that can help you with your problem.

I am confident that you will get answer way before the day is out!!!!!

Heather

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Maybe water got into the fuel tank and is part of the problem?

How long ago since you last rode it?

Are you positive that the fuel is ok?

Here is another link for needle setting adjustments:

http://www.ipass.net/wb4iuy/biken.html

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
yeah, welcome. I ain't no joe mechanic so I can't help ya but I'm sure if anyone can, they'd be part of this forum

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Walker...
Everyone on here will tell ya that I've been picking their brains over and over with mechanical questions. I'm NOT a mechanic or even close, but I have been doing tons and tons of research on my ZN700 LTD.
Go to the mechanics corner and ask this very same question. They are an awesome group, that don't mind helping and will definately get you a definitive answer shortly.
The first thing I'd look at is, are the vent hoses to your carbs all intact? The other thing is that you may have clogged jets in your carburetors.

From what I've read, if it cuts out when you open up the throttle, then you probably have more than one jet clogged. Most carburetors have a passage in them that when the throttle is closed, provides a very rich air/fuel mixture used in starting the engine. When your jets are clogged and you touch the throttle it takes the enrichment of the air/fuel out of the system, thus it causes it to shut down.

Like I said, I am no mechanic, and don't claim to know a lot about M/C's but it is what I've learned so far.
Do you do any work on your bike? Maybe we'll be tearing apart our carbs at the same time. But hopefully for you, it's avoidable. Mine are most likely loaded with "Varnish" as Bikeaholic and Whistle have explained to me.

Take Care, I wish you the best. NO fun having the 2 wheeler down!
And BTW, Welcome to the forum!

Chromequeen

·
Registered
506 Posts
Walker my friend,That sounds like a valcum line has came loose from the carburator. Check around the carb. area and see if you find a little black hose just hanging!! That little hose will suck air and make the engine run real rough! (won't idle) Its worth checking into! Hope this helps. Kenny in NC.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts