Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

kawasaki vulcan 900 2006 (Handlebars)

12K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  tommyarmour 
#1 ·
Hi I am new here and have a question about changing out the handlebars on my Vulcan. I am short and find it a pain dealing with the reach of the handlebars. Has anyone changed out the handlebars for a narrower set of pull back bars. I believe the width on the bars now is about 39 inches at any rate it is uncomfortable. I know adding risers will bring the handle bars back some but it is also the stretch. I was looking at J C Whitney for handlebars that are around 30 to maybe 32 inches wide. I just wanted to know if anyone has gone this route and if so did it have any effect on maneuverability and taking turns or u turns.
I had a 1991 Suzuki Intruder 750 before this I really liked so this is a step up in weight and CC's
Any help would be appreciated.
I am not really use to riding a bike with a floorboard either so reaching the rear brake pedal seems a little far and the reach for the ground is different also.
I guess if I have the seat lowered an inch it might solve those problems.
Your probable asking why I bought a bike the I need to make so many changes on to feel comfortable. Well I got it at great price and I figured that if it really wasn't for me I could always sell it for a profit.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The handlebars on a 2006 Vulcan Classic are 34" width, so unless the 900 Classic that you bought has had new wider bars on it that is the width. My wife is 5'4" tall and has no trouble at all with the stock handlebars on her Vulcan Classic.

Model D R W PB
VN 900 Vulcan 900 Classic / Classic LT 2006 - 2009 1" 7" 34" 14"

I take it you have a very short inseam according to your comment on the reach to the rear brake pedal and to the ground. Is that true?

#3 ·
Looks like you ended up with a bike that's a little to big for you. You can lower your bike about three inches and that will help you with reaching the ground but not sure if there're any upgrades for the break pedal available. Most one inch bars will fit your bike so the sky is the limit on bars. Good luck.

#4 ·
Now your making me feel bad. Your right about the measurements of the handlebars. I was just guessing at the measurements in my first post. I went out and actually measured them yesterday and they are the same as what you posted.
Does you wife have to ride up close to the gas tank to make it work since she is only 5' 4"? I tried that but my equipment got in the way.
When I first rod the bike I had on my sneakers and I was able to reach the ground ok it just didn't seem as stable. With my boots on its a lot better I guess it just takes time getting use to the bike.
With the existing handle bars I have to rid with my arms straight out with very little bend at the elbows.
I saw bars that I liked but the center on them were only 9.5 inches as apposed to the 14 inches on the existing bars. Don't know if it will make any difference int the handling and they are only 30 inches wide.
I guess I am just use to my old Suzuki Intruder. It had ramhorn handlebars that were only 28 inches wide and the seat was a flat 26 inches to the ground and a lighter bike.
I believe lowering the seat to the same height will take care of the problems of felling sure footed and would also give a better reach to the other foot controls.
Thanks

#6 ·
Now your making me feel bad. Your right about the measurements of the handlebars. I was just guessing at the measurements in my first post. I went out and actually measured them yesterday and they are the same as what you posted.
Does you wife have to ride up close to the gas tank to make it work since she is only 5' 4"? I tried that but my equipment got in the way.
When I first rod the bike I had on my sneakers and I was able to reach the ground ok it just didn't seem as stable. With my boots on its a lot better I guess it just takes time getting use to the bike.
With the existing handle bars I have to rid with my arms straight out with very little bend at the elbows.
I saw bars that I liked but the center on them were only 9.5 inches as apposed to the 14 inches on the existing bars. Don't know if it will make any difference int the handling and they are only 30 inches wide.
I guess I am just use to my old Suzuki Intruder. It had ramhorn handlebars that were only 28 inches wide and the seat was a flat 26 inches to the ground and a lighter bike.
I believe lowering the seat to the same height will take care of the problems of felling sure footed and would also give a better reach to the other foot controls.
Thanks
I didn't intend to make you feel bad. My wife rides close to the tank, however I wouldn't say that it is unusually close. She has a Kawasaki OEM studded gel seat on her bike and she rides in a comfortable position with the arms slightly bent. Her touch to the ground and the brake pedal are helped by using motorcycle boots with 2" heels. When she first got her bike, she had similiar issues such as you outlined, other than she didn't have the equipment problem that you mentioned. It will all come around to you. Don't worry. You mentioned that the set of bars that you were interested in had a 9" pull-back. Using those bars will increase your reach difficulties. If you use those, you will need to make up for the 5" of pull-back with a pretty extreme riser. Just thought I would throw that in. Nothing worse than getting something and finding out that things got worse instead of better.

#9 ·
#11 ·
Hi thanks I checked out your link for the changes. That's some list I think just lowering the seat about 2 inches will help with the reach of the foot controls. But then I need a gel seat which will bring the seat back up hopefully not high enough to make a difference. Still trying to get use the the width of the handlebars. On my old bike they were only 28 inches wide. Looking for some with a narrower width 28 to 30 inches and long enough so that I can sit leaning back enough to fell comfortable. Like sittin in a recliner
Thomas

#16 ·
Hi still have not found bars for the bike. When I said the bars I was looking at were 9.5 inches I meant the center of the handle bars as appose to the original handle bars whose center measurements are around 14 inches. I am referring to the part of the bars that attach to the fork, as apposed to the pull back.

#17 ·
I am trying to do pretty much the same as you for my wifes 900 Custom...I am looking for some new Handlebars with about a 8-10" rise and I have a set of 4" risers to help move them up. I am not familiar with what will work but I know the Customs bars are quite different than the Classics. She is 5'6" so I want to get them where she doesn't have to stretch while riding.
This is an important Thread for me as I will be listening to what you guys come up with.
T.O.

#18 ·
These are the bars I found on jc whitney site They are Miller Handlebars 9.5", End: 29.5", Rise: 4", Pullback: 6.5" Smooth Miller Handlebar. Do you think they are close enough to the existing handlebars that it would not make a big difference if I changed them out of the Miller bars?
I checked the cables and they do not give enough play to add 4 inch risers without having to also get longer cables.
Thanks
Thomas
MILER HANDLEBARS - JCWhitney.

#19 ·
I would check your stock bar height before going and purchasing a 9.5" to make sure you are getting enough height to suit you. You definitely will not be able to add 4" Risers without new cables. However, 9.5" might just require new cables also. Your OEM's might be close to that.. what is your stock height?
Ted

#20 ·
Handlebars

Thanks for the reply I have since checked out other bars that might be more suited for what I am looking for. Now the question is dimpled or smooth? From what I understand dimpled are used for the controls on the handlebar. Since I am getting replacement bars I guess the dimples would be where they are located on any handlebar, near the end of the handle. From what I understand they help to keep the controls from spinning. I don't know if the handlebars on my bike has dimples or not since I have not taken them off yet. I will call a Kawasaki dealer and see if I can get some further info on this.
These are the new handlebars I am considering 24 ½ W 6” R 15” P 6” C These are Santee bars I found at 10001 Santee High Chopper Handlebars outrageous price if they work. Or Part#: 0601-0188
STYLE: Medium center Pullback, HEIGHT: 7.00”, PULLBACK: 16.50”, CENTER WIDTH: 9.50”, WIDTH: 30.50”, FINISH: Chrome - !" METRIC CRUISER MAX PULLBACK at Flanders Handlebars 1â€� HANDLEBARS FOR METRIC CRUISERS from Cycle Parts Nation Aftermarket Motorcycle Accessories

Any extra feed back is appreciated, I am also considering using scooterworks lowering kit to bring the seat down and inch or two. I am short and although my feet reach the ground even with sneakers on I fell lowering the seat will give me more stability and should also help reaching the foot controls on the floorboard and reaching the foot pegs on the engine guards.
Thomas

#24 ·
Thanks I since come across 2 different sets of bars I am considering on is a Santee bar 24 ½ W 6” R 15” P 6” C website is 10001 Santee High Chopper Handlebars outrageous price if they work and the other is a Flanders bar Part#: 0601-0188
STYLE: Medium center Pullback, HEIGHT: 7.00”, PULLBACK: 16.50”, CENTER WIDTH: 9.50”, WIDTH: 30.50”, FINISH: Chrome - !" METRIC CRUISER MAX PULLBACK website Flanders Handlebars 1â€� HANDLEBARS FOR METRIC CRUISERS from Cycle Parts Nation Aftermarket Motorcycle Accessories
Way more in price than the Santee bar but still cheaper than if I purchased the bar at the Flanders website
Any thoughts?
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.