Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500 wants to, but won't start

959 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bikebrain 
#1 ·
Hello! This is my first post, so please bear with me. About 2 months ago I purchased a 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1500. Previous owner said he rode it frequently, put it away for the winter, then in the spring, it just wouldn't start. After I got the bike home, I redid all the plugs, fuel filter, air filter, throttle cable, and took apart and deep cleaned the carb, along with purchasing a new air mixture screw. When I go to try and start it, it turns over, sputters, backfires, but doesn't start. I have tried adjusting the carb, checked all the fuel lines, air lines, Saftey switches, to no avail. Battery is brand new also. Any pointers or something might be missing would be greatly appreciated, and probably lower my boiling point some. Thanks

#4 ·
hi, KM.
hoping you get your ride running.
can't be of too much help your specific symptoms, but (having done a lot of reading & hope you're not in this boat), thought to bring to your attention the reported oil pump issue associated with the '99 engine: nylon oil gear failure.
before you ever put too many miles on 'er when you get it going, recommend that you do some research to satisfy yourself as to whether (or not) yours should be attended to before some kind of catastrophic failure.

best of luck with the ride: i enjoyed quite a few miles on mine, which led to successive purchase of '09 & '13 1700 voyagers.

good luck staying healthy on rides & rest of life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.