Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am reaching out to see if there is anyone who has suffered the same experience as me, try as I might, I just cannot get my Z1300 to start.....HELP!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I do t think there are many, if any if members here have Z1300s and this isn’t a particularly busy forum either.

That said, if you tell us what you’ve tried and as much detail as possible then someone may be able to help.

Assuming that the engine is good then it’s either fuel, spark or timing. If it’s not been touched then it’s unlikely to be timing so it’s fuel or spark.

Checking for a spark is easy. If you’re getting a spark (and assuming it’s good) then the only thing left is fuel and you’re in to the carbs unless you’re using ancient fuel.

Sorry if you know all this but without more information, that’s the best I can offer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me, as you mentioned, I think I have tried about everything, to the point where I am contemplating just putting a match to the bike and being done with it!

I have done compression check on all cylinders, all good, it seems to be getting good spark, but who knows, as we all know, showing spark in atmosphere, is not the same as spark under compression. I have renewed ALL of the carb internals, I have just replaced the 3 x coils with bran new items, end result......nothing! AAarrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I would spray some starter fluid into the intake and see if it will start. If it does, you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't start, you have an ignition problem, probably?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I little history would help too. Is this a new bike to you?. How many miles?? Has it run before under your ownership? When was last time it did? ...have you done anything lately??....and don't put a match to it, even looking at these giants immobile is a awesome sight.

The pickup sensor at the crank tells the position to the Igniter and it turn it fires the coils, if you have sparks it is probably working, although does not guarantee the coils are connected correctly. Also a weak battery can make it crank but spark not being strong enough to make it catch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys

Apologies for the late replies, and all of your comments are welcomed. A brief history. I bought the bike about 5 yrs ago, down in Englandshire somewhere, Bristol I think. I knew from the get go, there was something not quite right about the bike, as it wouldn't rev the way it should have. I rode it home to Gods country (Scotland), with my wife on the back, so wasn't able to give it the "berries" as I would have liked. I did give it the Malky a couple of times through the gears, but it just never went the way a Z13 should. If you remember Arto Nyquist (Z1300 wheelie - YouTube) THAT is how it is SUPPOSED to go, but it never has, since I have had it.
Admittedly it has sat for a couple of years, recently, I replaced all the carb internals, I replaced the coils, the HT leads and the suppressor caps, I replaced the fuel, and put new spark plugs in. I replaced the fuel tap with a Pingle one.The battery is a new item, and is fully charged, the bike turns over good, nice and fast, but just wont fire. When I take the plugs out, they are wet with fuel, and they spark in atmosphere. I have done a leak-down test, all good, compression test, all good, each cylinder 140+ psi. I have taken the plugs out and put a thimble full of fuel down the bored, plugs back, still nothing. Yes, its pretty to look at standing still, in its GPZ colours, but I have seen it standing still long enough, time to breath life into it again. Where is my box of Scottish Bluebells when I need them?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Did you replace coils with OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket which exact coils did you use?
Also it is easy to get spark plug leads going to the wrong cylinders but I assume you have double-checked this by now.

·
Registered
763 Posts
.....and to keep pounding on this, it is also about control wires to the coil (from Igniter), not just spark cables to the cylinders......an another thing, do you have the proper level in the carburator bowls?? It is easy to find out with a clear tube.

·
Registered
490 Posts
To be a bit more clear, let me expand on the above. There are two places a coil swap can go wrong. By connecting the low voltage wires to the wrong coil or by not observing polarity, and by connecting the spark plug leads to the wrong cylinders. These are easy mistakes to make and would certainly give you the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi

Im double checking all that now, but it seems to be in order. A little confused about the levels in the carb bowls, I have never had to adjust this before.....can it be adjusted?

·
Registered
763 Posts
...normally yes, by bending the valve tab on float bowls, but the carburetor for the sixes are more complex Mikunis double barrels so don't know how easy is doing this. The level should be by the line separating the carb bodies and the bowls. If this level is too high, makes it too rich, if too low, makes too lean, difficult to start,......but am speaking in general, for motorcycle carburators,...I don't own a six, and I presume you don't have a factory manual which would tell you these details more precisely.

…..and I don't mean to send you away, not diminish the valuable inputs from the other members of this forum, we are all trying to help and interested in speedy solution, but must mention there is also a dedicated Kawasaki six forum Home with a lot a devotees to this engine, and a lot of direct experience knowledge, but please, stay with us and let us know how this goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
...normally yes, by bending the valve tab on float bowls, but the carburetor for the sixes are more complex Mikunis double barrels so don't know how easy is doing this. The level should be by the line separating the carb bodies and the bowls. If this level is too high, makes it too rich, if too low, makes too lean, difficult to start,......but am speaking in general, for motorcycle carburators,...I don't own a six, and I presume you don't have a factory manual which would tell you these details more precisely.

…..and I don't mean to send you away, not diminish the valuable inputs from the other members of this forum, we are all trying to help and interested in speedy solution, but must mention there is also a dedicated Kawasaki six forum Home with a lot a devotees to this engine, and a lot of direct experience knowledge, but please, stay with us and let us know how this goes.
it sure sounds like it’s flooded and getting way too much fuel. Shut off the petcock, full throttle and crank it for about 20 seconds. If it fires even a little bit then it’s a fuel delivery issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, I will try that. Apologies again for the late replies guys, but I have been busy out on my bike (Pan Euro ST11) delivering prescription meds to the elderly, not much time for anything else at the mo. I have someone who is an expert on these things, coming to have a look, so I will keep you all posted on what is found. Thanks for all the input so far, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope you found all the help you need as it has been a long time.
I also want to inform you (if you don't already know) that water causes a lot of damages to bikes, one of which includes your engine. To prevent these avoidable damages, you may want to purchase a motorcycle storage shed which will protect your bike from rain and/or snow. I recommend that you look through this website (Best Motorcycle Storage Shed [Updated: April, 2020]) as they have a number of top-quality storage sheds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts