Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Craig
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has a brand new battery that will not charge (I'm thinking because the bike is not charging it). The battery dies after 2 days of use. Im thinking the battery is not being charged by the bike obviously.
When the bike is running I get a reading of 12V on the multimeter.
My stator is good, Im thinking my voltage regulator? Any suggestions will be helpful?

Thanks

·
soft drinks & stiff women
694 Posts
Broken coil wire. Power isn't getting back to your alternator. Also, remember, a bike must be moving in order to charge the battery...if all you've been doing is starting it and letting it run without riding it, all you're doing is draining the battery.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Do this test:

1. Charge battery overnight with a 1amp charger.
2. Key on for 30 seconds.
3. Key off, take voltage reading.
4. Key on, monitor voltage for 2 minutes.
5. Start bike, take another reading.
6. Rev bike to 4000rpm and take voltage reading.

Post back with your results.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
This applies to cars. I'm sure motorcycles are the same. A fully charged battery with no load (engine off) should check a little more than 12 volts. When the engine is running with the engine revved up a little, the voltage should be at least 13.5 volts. If it never reads over 12, it is not being charged. You can check by reading voltage across the battery. Why it isn't charging is another question.

·
Craig
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, My Stator is new, so all the wires off that are fine.

SFAIR --- I tried what you said, reved it up to 4000RPMS, everything stays at 12V...even revving it, I thought it would go up to 13-14V, but it stays at 12V.

Roadrunner -- again, it never goes above 12V...... Im going to have a full charge tomorrow morning and IM going to ride it for about 10-20 miles and see what type of readings I get then and report back.

·
Craig
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, The battery was charged up all night... Full Battery when I took off this morning. After about an hour ride, the bike stalled --- battery dead !!!

I pressed the volt meter while I was riding it and it was about 11.5 --- and slowly decreasing as the ride went on. The battery is definately not being charged by the bike,, How would I test the voltage regulator? (I think this is the issue)

·
Craig
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dropped it off at the shop last night........ Ill wait for their call on it..... Im still thinking regulator !! Ill post the results

1 - 12 of 12 Posts