1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Straight to the point:

1985 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD B2

I was looking to change my Kawasaki air filter with a K&N OEM replacement. Murray’s Discount Auto got wrong filter so I have paid for the general replacement from K&N (RC-0984) containing four separate filters for each carburetor which was easy to get and Murray’s was cheaper than EBay ($110 including tax). SO here is the problem:

I do understand I have to take out my original air box compartment in order to be able to install these filters (which by the way look cool). WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A VACUUME SWITCH HOSE THAT IS ATTACHED TO THE ORIGINAL AIR BOX COMPARTMENT????!!!! From my manual it looks like it (vacuum switch) takes filtered air and throws it out through headers to help stop backfire when decelerating. My thought on it:

1. Could I just ride with out it (take the whole vacuum switch out)
2. Buy small filter that would attach to the hose (but it would be pain in the ass, as I don't know what kind of filter to get (size)

If above thinking seems stupid just disregard it and let me know your thoughts. I will be working on putting these air filters this weekend (06/19/04) so help would be much appreciated.

P.S. Is there OEM rear turn signals that are available in stores near me (Chicago N. Suburbs) for my bike?

Thanks and happy riding!!!

People in cars give bike riders chance particularly new riders. I cannot display stupid green leaf so just take it easy.

Andrew

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE TO ABOVE

Hi,

This is update to above.

I took my air box off my bike yesterday and put the K&N filters in but the bike runs like S*** my friend told me it needs rejetting. So I put the air box back in my system and went home unhappy. I called K&N tech. support with no luck. We make them but it is up to me to make it run so they SUCK. Called DynoJet and no luck either they SUCK too. Did anybody out there ever used K&N open air box filters and knows rejetting positions and sizes? Please email me, as this would be grate help.

Question 2 is there a K&N OEM filter replacement that would fit the air box on my bike? Part number?

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Andrew

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll look into it dude. I have not done this to mine yet due to having to rejet.

But stock jets should be 122.5 on this bike if anyone askes you what size jets you have. CAUTION, that is they SHOULD BE that size. Doubt if anyone rejetted.

Will be back later checking into this.

Also post what filters and part # u have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K&N

Hey

Glad you here.

K&N part number is RC-0984 oval type. Look for attachement or go to
http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/appsearch.aspx and do a search cuz typing number never works.

Oh by the way I have been riding (2 times may be three) without filter so far so good but do you have a spare one or know a store that stocks them. I would like to get something for now before I start f****** with my carbs. I will change carb holders while I'm at it too cuz they seem cracked all over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts