1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone im just after some advice if possible

I own a zzr250 94 model bike with 98 model engine

everytime i start my bike in the morning it will only start with choke on
I have to let it run for 15 minutes turn it off then try and start it for the next 10 minutes

as soon as i start it without choke i can turn off then it will turn on straight away without any problems

through the day it will start no problems - late in arvo has problems - have to put choke on and do it all again

well i can tell you i am very familar with recharging the battery

I have been advised that i need to adjust the carby to allow more fuel - i am wondering if this is correct, once it is started without choke it runs fine fuel wize

any advice would be much appreciated

thank you

Matt

·
Registered
456 Posts
It's normal for a bike to need choke if it's cold. It shouldn't need choke if it's already warmed up. It sounds like yours is doing exactly that.

The only thing that sounds strange is that you use the choke for 15 minutes. That's pretty long, but maybe you're just leaving it on and you haven't actually tried shutting it off earlier than that. A bike in normal condition shouldn't need choke after a minute or two (depending on how cold the engine is).

Does your engine die if you shut off the choke after a minute or 2? If it does, then maybe you should look into the problem. It may be the carbs. Generally speaking, if you have to use the choke more than you should, that is a general indication of some sort of fuel problem; i.e. you don't have as much fuel as the bike needs, so you're choking the air to compensate for it. It's not necessarily the carbs, but it's good to have clean, well-adjusted carbs anyway.
Curt

·
Registered
605 Posts
if it does die if you go directly from full to no choke then slow that process down a lil' go full, then 1/2, then off, if that still doesn't work...then just rev it up a little as you go from full to none and drive it a mile or so goign easy on the RPM's...you're now fully warmed up and you didn't hurt the engine dramatically

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the replys

with the choke i have tried just leaving for 1 or 2 minutes - the bike will not start at all - i have had many attempts and all leading to flat battery.

i cannot go from full choke to no choke at all, even slowly doing the process - the engine dies, i can idle in gear with choke full and half - cannot accelerate at all - revs die straight away.

i usually wait untill the temp is at quarter make - have to turn bike off - take choke off then try and start it again - still takes a few attempts.

if it runs without choke, a minute later i can turn it off wait 5 mins turn it on first time no worries at all - it seems to be the very first time without choke it has problems with

thank you

matt

·
Registered
456 Posts
Okay, it sounds like something is wrong. The carbs are a good first place to look. A thorough cleaning is always a good idea. Then make sure you have a clean air filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs, and fresh gas before you make any adjustments to carbs or idle speed.
Curt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank to everyone replying - i took on board all of the advice and starting striping apart my bike - few beers included.

Finally got to the air filter - well i could understand now why it was having a hissy fit - foam was covered full of shat with a great big dirty hole in the middle - looked in the black box where it resided - junk all through it - im thinking this might be the problem

checked the spark plugs - all good - new fuel

thank you everyone

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, clean up the so called "shat" make sure no more can get in there and replace it with a K&N air filter, just in case it gets dirty you can clean it up and put it right back in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts