Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 06 1600 classic into the the dealer about a month after the warranty was up due to a coolant leak i kept finding on the ground. First time i dropped it off, the guy said theyd fix it under warranty which they did within the same day no less which was nice. Told me they had to replace an O-ring and tighten up some hose clamps. about a week later, same problem. This time i leave it there for a week telling them, PLEASE let it sit, it will leak in a few days. Well it was there a week and they found nothing.

Credit to this dealer, again, they didnt charge me even though i know they checked it thoroughly, had the tank off, etc.

well i still have the leak as slight as it is and i think i just might have ran into some luck, i was cleaning the bike before down low when i saw an actual drip. i took a few pictures of what i thought was a bolt but after seeing these i know its not. These were taken from under the rear brake side of the bike just below the radiator. The arrows(as bad as they look) point to where i felt coolant when i touched it with the tips of my fingers.

Can anyone tell me where this leak might possibly be?? the radiator?? bike is just past a year old too. any help appreciated.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
There locating pins for the bottom of the radiator and TBH the one your pointing at may have fractured where it meets the rad.

You will have to remove the Rad to inspect :wink:

Have a look in the Kwak Service Manual for removal of the Rad :p

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
It may not be the actual pin that's leaking. The fluid could just be following gravity and dripping there at it's lowest point.

The only way to be sure, is to pressure test it, and observe where the leak is actually ocurring.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
You can pressure test the cooling system with the radiator in the bike..

A cooling system pressure tester attaches where the rad cap fits so you can test without much hassle ...

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
that was just one to show you what to look for. I wasn't recommending buying that particular one.

ask them if they did a pressure test on it.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i haven't had the time to really look over the last month and due to winter i haven't been riding much but i had a chance to take a quick look at where this leak is coming from and would you believe the lower radiator hose clamp wasn't tight? The one pictured above that comes from the water pump. How in Gods name does a dealer have my bike TWICE and not find this?

I WILL say though that it was actually leaking more since it came back from the dealer the second time which makes me wonder if they fixed the original problem but created a new one by not tightening that hose clamp. I sure hope im right, but i just don't know. I have a piece of cardboard underneath that spot now to help see it it leaks again but it's definitely not leaking from the spot it was when i brought it home most recently. :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts