Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the Kawi lightbar and installed it this evening. It clears the National Cycles Windshield just fine , but with the handlebars at full lock the turn signal just contacts the engine guard. I was wondering if anyone else had run into this and if it caused a problem. One thought I am considering is to modify it by mounting the origional signals to come off the sides.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
same problem with same parts. have not figured out what i'm going to do yet but if you come up with a solution let me know.

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to do that. The mounting studs for the lights and turn signals will interfeer with each other I think... What about some aftermarket turn signals, like silver bullets I put those on the back of my bike and they look great and are bright.... There smaller than factor turns but are still plenty for turn signals.... check them out on the Kuryaken site.... Theres a large and small size, I think i went with the large size for mine.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Not an issue for me....I'm using the Cobra Light Bar as the turn signals come off the side as show in my avatar and picture in my profile.
I know thats not much help for you though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I ran into the same problem and posted it in December to several different threads at this webside including the "100% fits 900" thread.

I fortunately had paid for a Kawi lightbar AND engine guard through my Kawi dealer in Aug when I bought my 900 LT.

After waiting four months for delivery of the lightbar and engine guard, I complained to the dealer and let them talk me into switching to a Cobra lightbar and highway bars. Because of the delay, I talked them into installing the units at no cost.

The shop called me after several hours. They had, somewhere, found the Kawi lightbar I had been waiting for and mounted it along with the Cobra highway bars. They told me the turn signals were hitting the highway bars at the extreme stops because of the way the signals hung downward on the Kawi lightbar. They suggested we try a Cobra lightbar, where the signals mount straight outward from the bar. I, of course, agreed because that was what I thought they were going to put on anyway.

The Cobra lightbar works perfectly with the Cobra highway bars on my '07 900LT.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Question.... can you slot any of the mounting holes enough to eliviate your hitting issue??? Just a thought!

Matthew

·
Registered
385 Posts
How about getting creative and trimming (shortening) the rubber portion of the turn signal about a 1/4" or so to allow for the needed clearance???

I finagled the holes on my light bar to allow my fairing the clearance I wanted (1/4") between the fairing and spot lights...... with no problems. It's all relative to the size of your kahoneys. So if you aren't handy with the tools, just put them down and step away from the bike! :lol:

Note: When massaging the holes.... cover the part in masking tape to prevent chrome plating from chipping & work in small amounts (keep part cool) to not discolor the chrome!! And DO NOT use a drill bit, but a nice new round file!!

Anyway.... Good Luck!

Matthew

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm considering drilling and using the origional turn signals in the horizontal position, but I want to ponder it for a while before doing something that I can't undo, And ponder what is available, as aftermarket turn signals. Maybe LEDs, might just be the excuse for more mods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kawi lightbar and cobra guards

Got the same set up but I have the Scootworks risers on my handlebars. Lights clear by two inches. The risers sure make a difference in riding comfort too!

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Anyone thought of adding a shim on the handlebar stop?
you can barely turn around a 900 thats not moving fast enough to lean in a 2 car driveway as it is if you shim the stops then you got to call the pavers in!

·
Registered
222 Posts
John,

I'm not actually sure what you mean, but if it's what I think you're saying, in addition to adding a little to the 900's turning radius (push turning, anyway), as Ride4Life stated, you might not be able to use the stem -- or whatever it's called -- lock.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Got the same set up but I have the Scootworks risers on my handlebars. Lights clear by two inches. The risers sure make a difference in riding comfort too!
Tylertaxman,

Being a novice too, you've lost me. How does raising the handlebars change the relationship of turn signals connected to the lightbar to the highway bars?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts