Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a proud owner of Vulcan 900 Custom, but I've been getting the itch to try out a sport bike. I came across a couple of good looking deals, one on a Suzuki and one on a Yamaha. Can someone direct me to a forum where I could ask some questions comparing the two bikes? Thanks for any help.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We can try to give you an unbiased opinion. try us.
Thanks for the offer man! I've already gotten some great feedback from V2K CCTX, but would love to hear from others as well. Here are the links to the two bikes I have my eye on:

2009 Yamaha FZ6R Raven Sport Bike One Owner Like New
2008 Suzuki SV650SA

A little bit about me...started riding 2.5 years ago on a Vulcan 500 and bought my 900 Custom this past spring and have only about 12,000 miles in the saddle total. I've taken two different MSF courses and feel comfortable, but not cocky in my riding. I'm also a smallish guy @ 5'7" 160 lbs and 48 years old. I love my 900 and think I will keep it till I run the wheels off, but I've been really wanting to try out sportbike riding as well, especially for commuting and weekend day rides in the mountains around Spokane.

Thanks in advance...this forum is the best as you guys and gals know...

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Both bikes are going to be reasonably comfortable as compared to full on supersports with clip-on bars. They are lower. These are just a bit more upright.

I've owned a Kawi 650r, very similar to the SV650, and also have a Triumph TT600 which is an i4 sport bike. What you're talking about here is the classic discussion between a twin and a 4. Opinions are like a-holes and everyone will have one.

the 650r was an easier bike to ride at lower revs. because it has some torque, it's got a good pull down low, such as coming out of corners. The rev range also lets you wring it out a bit, and if like my 650r, the SV will have a nice power hit around 7k RPMs that will be a nice little bonus.

The Yami is made more to thrash the motor. In order to get the power from it, you'll run higher rpms. My triumph can be a little abrupt on the throttle at slower speeds, so you'll want to evaluate how smooth the power is down low, like at parking lot speeds.

The beauty of the yami will be at high rpms. if you work the gears right, she'll be more power than you'll actually ever need. I take my 600 to the track, where i-4s really shine, and it'll spin tires coming out of corners with ease. you just have to work the gears right, and it takes some practice and time to know how to keep the revs at just the right spot for max power.

The 650, on the other hand, will be more generally usable on the street. it's power is more available low, and gear selection on the street is not as critical to ride at a brisk pace.

The question I'd ask you is what you intend to do with the bike. If it's just a fun-use street bike, I'd vote 650. If you think you'd like to really challenge a bike, perhaps take it to a track to get the full sport-bike experience, then the 600 will be better for that. The 650 would be fun on the track, don't get me wrong, but the 600 would be a step above that.

I had planned to take my 650r to the track, but the 600 came along and was such a good deal, I picked it up and sold the 650. There are a number of guys who race 650s, so they aren't wimpy by any means.

If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to provide more opinion.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
We have a freind who purchased a new FZ6R this past summer, and she loves it. I've also talked to my local Honda guy (who's opinion i respect very much) and he has stated that he thinks the FZ6R is also a great bike. Can't comment on the SV650, but from what I've read it's also a very respectable and reliable ride.

Best of luck...have fun.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
the SV650 engine is very similar to my wifes GV650 by Hyosung... its is a very well designed engine that runs forever...however...in the long run...i like the I-4 and the longer legs of the engine

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both bikes are going to be reasonably comfortable as compared to full on supersports with clip-on bars. They are lower. These are just a bit more upright.

I've owned a Kawi 650r, very similar to the SV650, and also have a Triumph TT600 which is an i4 sport bike. What you're talking about here is the classic discussion between a twin and a 4. Opinions are like a-holes and everyone will have one.

the 650r was an easier bike to ride at lower revs. because it has some torque, it's got a good pull down low, such as coming out of corners. The rev range also lets you wring it out a bit, and if like my 650r, the SV will have a nice power hit around 7k RPMs that will be a nice little bonus.

The Yami is made more to thrash the motor. In order to get the power from it, you'll run higher rpms. My triumph can be a little abrupt on the throttle at slower speeds, so you'll want to evaluate how smooth the power is down low, like at parking lot speeds.

The beauty of the yami will be at high rpms. if you work the gears right, she'll be more power than you'll actually ever need. I take my 600 to the track, where i-4s really shine, and it'll spin tires coming out of corners with ease. you just have to work the gears right, and it takes some practice and time to know how to keep the revs at just the right spot for max power.

The 650, on the other hand, will be more generally usable on the street. it's power is more available low, and gear selection on the street is not as critical to ride at a brisk pace.

The question I'd ask you is what you intend to do with the bike. If it's just a fun-use street bike, I'd vote 650. If you think you'd like to really challenge a bike, perhaps take it to a track to get the full sport-bike experience, then the 600 will be better for that. The 650 would be fun on the track, don't get me wrong, but the 600 would be a step above that.

I had planned to take my 650r to the track, but the 600 came along and was such a good deal, I picked it up and sold the 650. There are a number of guys who race 650s, so they aren't wimpy by any means.

If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to provide more opinion.
Nice explaination Dave. V2K CCTX was saying the same thing. I think my ego wants me to get the new, shiny, i4, but the Suzuki with it's V-twin might be a better match for my inexperience. I doubt I will be going to the track anytime soon, but one never knows. In the short term the bike would definitely be for commuting and street riding. Decisions, decisions...

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have a freind who purchased a new FZ6R this past summer, and she loves it. I've also talked to my local Honda guy (who's opinion i respect very much) and he has stated that he thinks the FZ6R is also a great bike. Can't comment on the SV650, but from what I've read it's also a very respectable and reliable ride.

Best of luck...have fun.
Thanks for that...how much riding experience did your friend have with sportbikes prior to getting the FZ6R?

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Thanks for that...how much riding experience did your friend have with sportbikes prior to getting the FZ6R?
Not a lot with sportbikes, she moved over from a VStar1100....and so far isn't looking back.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Nice explaination Dave. V2K CCTX was saying the same thing. I think my ego wants me to get the new, shiny, i4, but the Suzuki with it's V-twin might be a better match for my inexperience. I doubt I will be going to the track anytime soon, but one never knows. In the short term the bike would definitely be for commuting and street riding. Decisions, decisions...
My wife went from her GV650 v-twin cruiser to a 2007 CBR600RR in less thana year....the safety is in your head...I think you will be fine with the Yamaha, but its up to you which one you like better

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
My wife went from her GV650 v-twin cruiser to a 2007 CBR600RR in less thana year....the safety is in your head...I think you will be fine with the Yamaha, but its up to you which one you like better
Agreed, wholeheartedly. Given the choices of those two...I would certainly pick the one that pulls at your soul more. Either choice would be a good one.

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
I got an 05 SV650S for my 21 YO.....he's a big boy 6'2" and 215 lbs......he loves his. I had no interest in riding it, but was pleasantly surprised by it's performance.......dollar for dollar a nice dependable peppy bike.

Of course if I wanted off a V-twin Cruiser......I'd look for another 1100 V4 magna.....the only thing that couldn't outrun it in it's day was a V-Max....lol

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Can't offer any direct advice on the two bikes you're looking at...but I can give you a bit of perspective jumping from a 900 to a sport bike, as I did it in June (had put 9000 miles on my 900 before making the jump...admittedly earlier than ideal).

What V2K_CCTX said rings absolutely true at this point in your riding career; you are the safety. You have the skills to control the bike, how fast it goes will be up to you. I was nervous as all heck the first time I hopped on my ZX-14...I had 4 times the power the 900 had and a bit less weight. But even so, I had developed the skill to handle the bike...all I had to do was keep from getting in over my head. I still don't think I've cranked the throttle completely open in 1st or 2nd gear (probably not 3rd either). I respect the heck out of the potential my bike has, and I believe that, along with the skill I developed on the 900, has kept me safe over the past 10,000 miles on the bike.

I'm also with Trike, go with the one that speaks to you...thats the bike you'll be happiest with. I went with the ZX-14 over the far more practical FJR1300...and the moment I pulled around the corner and saw it sitting on the ramp with its headlights on, waiting to be loaded into my truck, I knew I had made the correct decision. Haven't looked back since. Go with what feels right...and good luck!

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Well, the fizzer will still be comfortable. it's not leaned over too extreme, so should be a nice ride. My son's friend is the one I bought my TT600 from. He bought it about a year after learning to ride....and wrecking my old VX800. He handled the 600 fine. So did my boys, for that matter. Both of them learned to ride on the VX800 and have graduated to riding stronger bikes within a year of learning. You're certainly OLD enough to have a clear head on your shoulders to handle the power (before you lash out...I'm 49! :biggrin: )

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
....I went with the ZX-14 over the far more practical FJR1300...and the moment I pulled around the corner and saw it sitting on the ramp with its headlights on, waiting to be loaded into my truck, I knew I had made the correct decision. ....
Oh, so it's a TRAILER QUEEN, huh??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the fizzer will still be comfortable. it's not leaned over too extreme, so should be a nice ride. My son's friend is the one I bought my TT600 from. He bought it about a year after learning to ride....and wrecking my old VX800. He handled the 600 fine. So did my boys, for that matter. Both of them learned to ride on the VX800 and have graduated to riding stronger bikes within a year of learning. You're certainly OLD enough to have a clear head on your shoulders to handle the power (before you lash out...I'm 49! :biggrin: )
I'm not up on the lingo...fizzer? The FZ6R? You mean more of an upright riding posture than a true supersport?

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Yes, FZR. Generally referred to as a Fizzer. Yeah, it's got traditional bars on it, right? Or is it clip-ons? I'm pretty sure the SV650S has the traditional bars. It's the SV650R model that has clip-ons.

My Kawi 650R had traditional bars on it, but as I got more comfortable, I eventually wanted something more aggressive. There are some aftermarket bars for it that are lower. I had planned to do that before the TT600 came along.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts