Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my bike from the dealer. They had it for a few days to replace the ECU. My vin no# was not part of the recall, but I had the sticking throttle on decel, and she stalled a couple different times when I was coming off of a ramp down shifting into first.

My dealer was great to deal with. They went to bat for me. The service Mgr tells me they have about 65 of these bike sold this year, and no other owners have brought theirs in for this problem.

I ask him how many of these riders had been in for their 600 mile service, and he agreed that not many. My point being this bike is a popular bike for new riders, and week end riders, that don't put that many miles on them, and may not know they have a problem yet.

Anyway Kawi stepped up to the plate, the dealer did a nice job. I'm a happy camper. I came home on all the back roads so I could use third gear a lot, and she seems fine. Still have the popping on decel, but I'm sure the Vanes & hines pipes contribute to this condition. I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years, and I have to say this 900 is a **** good bike.

Service Mgr tells me that my old ECU is on it's way to Japan for analysis. He also said because of my issue, that they may expand the recall up to my Vin no#, and that mine was one of the last 06s made. If you haven't had a recall, you may be getting one now.

D

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Glad to hear that your dealership took care of you and replaced your ECU.

Regards.

·
Registered
442 Posts
your not near York are you?

my dealer told me no one had the problem either, my bike is out of the vin numbers being replaced and my throttle sticks on decel in third gear almost every time i ride now

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts

my dealer told me no one had the problem either, my bike is out of the vin numbers being replaced and my throttle sticks on decel in third gear almost every time i ride now
I can't believe they would give you any trouble about replacing the ECU if you are having those problems. Have you talked to Kawa direct? Do you know what type liability it places on them by refusing to replace it. If you ever have a crash or get hurt and you have documented that you had these problems and they refused to fix them......well let's just say the lawyers will be lining up outside your door to take that case. Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Service Mgr tells me that my old ECU is on it's way to Japan for analysis. He also said because of my issue, that they may expand the recall up to my Vin no#, and that mine was one of the last 06s made. If you haven't had a recall, you may be getting one now.

D
Now that is what a dealer should do. I'm just glad you got it taken care of without a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'm not to far from NY. I'm right outside of Philadelphia. The dealer I purchased from, and use for service is Montgomeryville cycle center. They are a multi franchise operation, and the service guys are very serious about doing a good job.

When I was buying, I shopped a few locations, but this was the only one that the owner actually came onto the floor and talked to me about the bike.

I think the main thing that you have to convey to them, is that this is a very serious safety hazard. Also, does your bike stall when you are coming to a stop some times. This seems to be Kawi's biggest fear.

Don't forget, this is a very expensive recall for KAwi. $500 per unit, but again, I got the fealing they want to solve the problem, they just don't want to shell out all that money because some guy read about a problem on the net, but doesn't have it.

Hope this helps you.

D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts