Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the bike hasnt been ridden hard for a few months. Started periodically... ran fine. Then, today, the guy Im buying from, who I know well, is going to deliver to my house. Starts fine, idles... He jumps on to put out on street.. as he gives throttle, bike slowly dies with a poofing sound. Tries to start it, all it does is hispeed click. Engine doesnt crank. Fuel filter not clogged. Slight amount of water in fuel. no lines clogged. However, when trying to start, no fuel pumped out of fuel pump to carburetor. Also, found that ground on battery did not have nut attached. Dont know if that matters on motorcycles. Also, had battery issue last year. Compression start; engine tries, but wont catch. Any ideas? Were in Germany, US Army, so hard to find dealer to talk it over with.

Sorry about this, Im new: 2002 ZX6-R, 2034 miles...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you tried turning the engine over with a wrench? I couldnt tell whether the engine was turning over at all. If the starter just isnt pushing teh engine over try push starting it. Also you will probably have better luck if you post this in teh mechanics corner. Year and model of bike would also be nice.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Re: Kawi started, ran for a few, died slow, now only clicks.

CavTrooper said:
1. So, the bike hasnt been ridden hard for a few months.
2. Tries to start it, all it does is hispeed click. Engine doesnt crank.
3. Slight amount of water in fuel. no lines clogged.
4. when trying to start, no fuel pumped out of fuel pump to carburetor.
5. Also, found that ground on battery did not have nut attached. Dont know if that matters on motorcycles.
6. Also, had battery issue last year.
7. Compression start; engine tries, but wont catch.
1. did you put an STABIL in the gas before letting sit ?
2. i will lump this in with #5....... make sure the ground/positive cables are CLEAN and TIGHT. if it still clicks put jumper cables on it from a car (not running) and see if it starts. if it still clicks then the starter solenoid may have bit the dust.
3. drain tank and put in new gas, also drain the fuel bowls
4. did you have the KILL SWITCH ON RUN, may need to check to make sure the switch is good. youll have to do a resistance test on it to check it. if the off position it should be OFL ,in the on postion it should be .2-.8ohms
5. read #2
6. have a car/bike shop do a LOAD TEST on the battery. it may need replaced
7. try #2 and make sure the starter/starter solenoid doesnt actually work.
good luck :wink:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
AND

Get two new plugs, CLEAN the airfilter, while the plugs are out try the start button again...if it works put about a tablespoon of diesel into each cylinder and hit the switch again. this lubes the clyinder walls. Check the Kickstand cut out switch/clean it...when you are trying to start it remove the battery, and use jumper cables to your battery clamps (this eliminates the batttery issue...worst case scenerio, put the bike on it's centerstand without plugs find 6th gear remove all the plugs do the tablespoon of diesel in each cylinder, dump your gas, get some fresh, drain the carb drains (on the bottom) then let some fresh gas flow through to clean the lines and replace the drain plugs. Install a spark plug into the spark plug cap (not the engine) and make sure that you ground them...now turn the rear wheel...you are in 6th gear...
you now have diesel in the cylinders, the spark plugs are out and grounded (you'll be looking for a good spark), the fuel is clean, the airfilter is clean, when you turn the rear wheel the engine will turn over and you will see spark on each plug...the battery cables are attached to a large 12V battery... Hit the start switch...it should turn over the engine...same thing you are working the gas still see sparks at the plug...
at least you are breaking it down in steps...if you don't have sparks then check fuses, check the side kickstand kill switch (it kills the engine in gear, not in Neutral) ... Install the plugs, and try it again. If the car battery starts it great, then install the bike battery after charging it and see if the bike will start...I could just tell you that bad gas and USUALLY the plugs are the common denominator, but that is no fun...it's more fun to have you check everything...MOST IMPORTANT...Get back on line and let us KNOW what you found even if it was a OFF/ON switch that somehow got Knocked over to the wrong position...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WATER

Water should NOT pass through a gas filter if it is any good...replace the filter...sorry I missed that. Also remove the gas cap and se if you can blow air into the tank...this will dislodge any sediment from teh mesh screen inside the fuel tank...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Answer

Ladies and gentlemen, I do apologize for the drama... It was just a POS battery. The previous owner is not very mechanically inclined (with motorcycles) and thus did not describe the problem very accurately. However, as I was submitting for ideas here, we also put the battery on a charger, "just in case". After talking to some previous bike owners, no one really knew that a bike would not run if the battery becomes disconnected, which was also one of the issues. We tried to hold the terminal on the battery, but just wasnt good enough contact.

In any case, thank you VERY much to all who responded! You guys rock! Oh, btw, I have a fender eliminator in my possession that Im gonna try to put on....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts