Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what you all think.

If you were able to get the Honda VTX 1300 family of bike (06 - 08) with 1500 miles or less on it, in the same price range of a Kawi 900, which would you choose and why?

·
Enjoying Warmer Weather
340 Posts
Probably the Honda. I like my 900, but wouldn't mind having the bigger bike. I wanted to get a vtx1300, but the 900 was more affordable and it is my first bike. When I upgrade, it will be a VTX1800, V2K, or Stratoliner. 900 does have FI and fuel meter. I like the big chromed right side and the headlight of the VTX.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you could get a new 1600 classic for close to what you would pay for a VTX1300. One of my reasons for going with the kaw instead of the honda. oh, that and fuel injection. :)
with that being said, for the price of a 900? Jump on that.
MSRP to MSRP cost you are correct, however, I have found a few dealers with overstocks on 07 VTX that had them under 8k with 0 miles.

I have looked at the larger Kawi's and for me did not find them as comfortable as the VN900 or the Honda VYX1300.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Do the VTX 1300, if you don't mind the carb. More power, beefier, nice lines, tons of accessories and custom parts available for it :p

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
No question: the Honda. The Honda 1300 is a terrific sized all-around performer. It can be sporty or it can be made into a touring cruiser. It has dual front disc brakes and a strong motor that can get the job done even 2-up and loaded with gear.

The Kawi 900 is a good bike, probably the best... in its class (mid-sized cruisers). The Honda is just in the next class up that's all. Also, TONS of accessories available for the Honda, so you can customize it to your heart's desire.

My $.02,
Daryl

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
I dunno, it's up to you but a buddy of mine has the VTX, and I'm not overly impressed. The reviews have been pretty lukewarm on it too. It definitely has more power if that's what you're looking for, but IMO the Star 1300 is head and shoulders above the VTX.

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
I guess I don't care for the "this or that' part of the question. For the money you're spending on a motorcycle, get what you WANT, not what is available or a really smokin deal.....

I would say that you ought to decide on the motorcycle you want, that fits your needs then find a deal on one.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I don't care for the "this or that' part of the question. For the money you're spending on a motorcycle, get what you WANT, not what is available or a really smokin deal.....

I would say that you ought to decide on the motorcycle you want, that fits your needs then find a deal on one.
Ok, I know this is a very subjective question, but maybe this will help eiminate some of that.

I am 5'10" and a 160#
I have looked and tried Harley, Victory, Honda (own one now) Kawi, and Yamaha.

Of them all, in the 1100 - 1600 range, I have found the VN900, the VTX1300 and the new Vicory Vegas Low, the only bikes to my liking in comfort, riding position and style.

I can't afford a 16K Vegas, so this is where I am.

I really wasn't looking for a "you must buy" type answer, only opinions, thoughts, and knowledge about the bikes (reliability, upgradability, etc.)

I do thank everyone and would like to hear (read) more, but as with everyone else, ultimately I will get what I feel is right for me in my wallet, my butt and my heart.

·
Ride Naked ..
2,607 Posts
i sell new Honda's & Suzuki's & the VTX1300 is a great cruiser & reliable , its your choice & either cruiser will have you smiling :smile: . i just purchased my new 08 VN1600 Classic :cool: , over a new VTX1800 OR M109R which i could have bought @ cost "IMO the Vulcans are simply the best" .. ;)

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
My brother has a VTX1300C it's a pretty good bike. It's not as smooth as the 900. The 900 will run with the 1300 no problem. The 1300 has a few known issues. Neck bearings can give problems, rear shock bushings can need replacing, starter switch may be intermittent at times and need replacement, instrument panel will vibrate at about 55mph. The only problem my brother hasn't had so far is the bearing problem. He really doesn't like the carb over FI.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i sell new Honda's & Suzuki's & the VTX1300 is a great cruiser & reliable , its your choice & either cruiser will have you smiling :smile: . i just purchased my new 08 VN1600 Classic :cool: , over a new VTX1800 OR M109R which i could have bought @ cost "IMO the Vulcans are simply the best" .. ;)
What things led you to get the VN1600? Just curious.

(FYI, Turtle wax doesn't taste very good, 'specially if it is on the Turtle!)

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My brother has a VTX1300C it's a pretty good bike. It's not as smooth as the 900. The 900 will run with the 1300 no problem. The 1300 has a few known issues. Neck bearings can give problems, rear shock bushings can need replacing, starter switch may be intermittent at times and need replacement, instrument panel will vibrate at about 55mph. The only problem my brother hasn't had so far is the bearing problem. He really doesn't like the carb over FI.
Thanks man, that is great info, I didn't know there were many problems with the VTX

I am not sure I would mind a carb over FI (or the other way around) as I have never owned a FI bike, since the Shadow is carbed..

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
He had a 750 Shadow before the VTX and it was a solid bike. The carb bothers him more than me. I've done most of the work on his bike. The only thing I don't understand are these issues the VTX has are known problems yet Honda has never attempted to correct the problems. The forum my brother is on claims that even some of the Gold Wings have had problems with the neck bearings. I don't get this at all, I always thought Honda was the stuff when it came to quality.

·
Xpylut
438 Posts
I've owned 3 1300's - currently own an 06 1300R - here's the deal -

good overall bike
good handling, good weight, good mileage
outpaces traffic all day, street or highway
exceedingly reliable - but you need to -

add rubber washers under the speedo housing to kill the rattle
add some tape to the headlight mount to kill the rattle
use a black felt pen to dim the blue high beam led (blinding)
maybe replace the steering stem bearings with tapered set from vtx1800
maybe replace stock fork springs with progressive

the 1300 requires a decent warmup in cooler weather ( below 50 degrees)
manual valve adjustments (mine have been right on when I checked)

MANY aftermarket parts, most wiring is plug and play

I have not experienced the wobble (combination of bearings and tire cupping)

I have not worn out any shock bushings, but they are not expensive

I did remove the pair valve and install blocking plates

I drilled the pipes for better sound

the Honda VTX Owners website is the best support you've ever seen - these guys actually own and use wrenches.

I have also owned a Vulcan 1600 Classic - excellent bike, no question, and it is only 8 lbs heavier than the 1300. I went with a 1300 and a V2K for my bikes. Too hard to get too few choices on Kawasaki accessories. The V2K Classic LT was almost perfect. I added a lightbar, highway bars, lowers and a luggage rack to finish it.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He had a 750 Shadow before the VTX and it was a solid bike. The carb bothers him more than me. I've done most of the work on his bike. The only thing I don't understand are these issues the VTX has are known problems yet Honda has never attempted to correct the problems. The forum my brother is on claims that even some of the Gold Wings have had problems with the neck bearings. I don't get this at all, I always thought Honda was the stuff when it came to quality.
Now see that bothers me, if it is a known problem on multiple bikes, and Honda is doing nothing about it, that to me is not taking cre of your customers. To me, that is just as important as all other things.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts