Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so ive been riding this bike for about 5 years now im 14.I have farely good mechanics skills and steet smarts. So last year for hunting we took the bike upnorth and rode the snot out of this bike,it ran fine up there took it home put it away for winter. Im almost positive we didn't put stabilizer in it =( so now about 1month back we took it up again it ran ok without any fuel treatment and well i popped a tire to now thats all fixed. but now it starts up fine 1 kick start but it only idles at half choke and full choke so if i take it off it dies. or if i run it past 1/3rd throttle it will bog out in all gears.... this is sortof depressing so any ideas? im guessing carb got gunked so ima run some seafoam through it and hopefully it runs better... and one last thing i havent been able to find a air filter for it so i tried to make a homemade one butt then it doesnt even go into gear without bogging out.. so it wont run with a homemade filter:frown:

anyone willing to help .... i WILL GLADLY TAKE IT!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like from what you said about an air filter it's getting too much fuel and not enough oxygen. Try adjusting the air/fuel mixture screw. or take your carb off and take the jets out and blow through them with carb cleaner and an air nozzle. If you can't see through them, pull a clean piece off of a wire brush and push it through there gently to clean the gunk out. Make sure all the jets are clean.

And for an air filter, take a tuppleware bowl, cut the size so it will fit snuggly around the back of the carb. then poke holes on the back of it and put foam in it. Alot of holes so you have good air flow. Be sure the air goes straight through the foam. Like foam you can buy at walmart. Just a little thing of foam will do. This should work well. I ran without an air filter on mine and something got in and beat my piston all to hell. Air filters are a good investment.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
If your carb is clogged, not having an air filter is making it even harder to draw in fuel. The restriction that an air filter adds increases suction on the fuel jets.
So your actually running lean (not enough fuel) - that's why giving it choke helps it run. Cleaning the card is not hard but make sure when you take the bowl off the bottom you don't lose the float needle... Not sure how much you know about cleaning carbs but a quick cleaning would involved poking small piece of wire up the jets to clear them and getting any gunk out of the bowl - considering that it will actually run, means it's not fully clogged.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts