Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kdx 80 new coil still no spark need help Could it be the condenser i have a reading of 5-6 volts coming from magneto when i kick it over does that reading sound correct

·
Registered
191 Posts
this is what I replied in the other forum for you.

check the kill switch and make sure its not falsly grounding. it happens. If its fine then double check to make sure your coil is grounded right. there isnt much to a two stroke ignition system. next and last thing really is your pickup. what year is this thing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bypassed the kill switch and made sure i have a good ground. It has points and a condenser. i bought a new coil for it but still no spark. i callled the dealer where i got the coil and he said i should be getting 5-6 volts from Mag which i am . CONFUSED !!

·
Registered
191 Posts
what year is this bike? How do the points look? You can measure capacity of the condenser but you need to have a tester. You should be able to take it to a dealer and have them do it. They are usually .18-.25 microfarads. If you dont want to do this you can test it with a small battery. 6v. charger the condensor for a few seconds then dissconnect it quickly and tap the two ends together. If you see a spark then its probobly doing its job. There should be good insulation resistance between the case and the positive terminal. if you get a low resistance(not on the megaohms scale) then this could be your problem.

if your points are pitted but not too bad you can clean them up with a clean point file. if they are oil foled or need any attention it might be worth just replacing them. You can get aftermarket points for a reasonable price.

it is very possible that your points are the problem because they require maintinence tha tmost people dont do. you are supposed to clean/dress them every 2500 miles or so. You should be able to tell if the points are bad by looking at them i would think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts