Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im new to these forums and this will be my first post.
I have recently purchased a 1990 KDX 200 and I have a few questions about this model. Its in good shape and runs well but if feels as though it maybe has a little more power to give. It already has an FMF header on it. Does anyone know any ways to improve performance and get more power? Also does anyone know how long a top end will last on a KDX and are there any good ways to tell if it needs rebuilt? Does anybody know where I can find aftermarket plastic kits and a seatcover for a 1990? Thanks for any advice.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
dirtbike840 said:
1. Hello everyone, Im new to these forums and this will be my first post.
2. It already has an FMF header on it. Does anyone know any ways to improve performance and get more power?
3. Also does anyone know how long a top end will last on a KDX and are there any good ways to tell if it needs rebuilt?
4. Does anybody know where I can find aftermarket plastic kits and a seatcover for a 1990?

1. welcome
2. do you know if it was jetted for the pipe ? gearing is a very easy way to make the bike feel/pull stronger
3. does the engine have a nice loud RATTLE or does it sound quiet where the piston is. when 2-strokes wear the cylinder they get piston slap (the piston rocks in the cylinder banging around as it goes up and down)
4. www.denniskirk.com , parts unlimited
good lucl :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. I do not know if it was jetted with the pipe but i suspect that it was not because it doesnt run real well until the higher RPMs. I think i have the gearing about where i want it. The motor sounds pretty quiet and smooth for the most part. However the previous owner had the bike for about 6 yrs and he never rebuilt it. I am looking into the plastic. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
first thing is to re-jet it, then gear it down to 13, 52 if your going bush. then tear that funnel/air scoop thing out that sits on top of your box. some fine tuning may also need to be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts