Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first bike ever last summer - a 2000 vulcan 800 classic B - I like the bike but I can't decide if I should spend money on it (highway bars/pegs, lights, mustang seat, etc...) or upgrade to a larger bike like a 1100 or 1300 of some kind? My main concern is whether or not an 800 is big enough for when I want to take a long road trip - I am 38 and weigh 220 and plan to only ride solo. Like I said, I LOVE the bike - do you think bigger is better and why? THANKS!

Hey Thanks all! I think I do have a bit of "never satisfied...what if..." - I am changing the sprocket to a 17/38 ratio before spring to help lower RPM's. As suggested, I will take it on a long trip and ride the hell out of it and see what I think. I predict it will suit me fine for a couple years until I am more experienced and can upgrade to suit me.

·
Lookin' for a sunny day!
56 Posts
Only you can make that choice and whatever you decide you're right but you'll always second guess yourself. I have an 02 800 Classic and in 2004 I did 9,500 mile month long ride that took me from NorCal east through the Rockies and across the Mississippi and back, camping, staying in little motels, meeting great people, and seeing some of the grandest sights in the world. The bike never skipped a beat, always had more power when I needed it, and gave me the trip of a lifetime.

If I had done the trip on the interstates, I probably would have regretted not having a bigger bike, but for the roads I look for, I'm very happy. But I still second guess myself. Enjoy the scoot you're on, and change when you want.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Your 800 should do pretty much anything a bigger bike will do as far as long trips go and all, but there are benifits of bigger bikes. First off, a bigger bike will add more comfort and let you sit in the saddle longer without being uncomfortable. A big bore engine will rev at much lower rpm's and not have to work as hard as the smaller bore. This will be a pleasure at 70 to 75 mph, and engines that don't have to work as hard will inturn last longer. Bigger bikes are heavier than the mid size cruisers, and less effected to wind pushing them around. The one thing I have noticed about myself, is that I have been up grading to larger bikes, just because I wanted the feeling of a heavy bike with plenty of pony's for those long trip, and added comfort to boot.
Yup, your 800 is a fine machine, that will get er' done, but I do feel you would be happier with a bigger bike. Lots of folks go bigger as the years pass, but very few go smaller.
Do what you feel is best for you. Your bike as already said is plenty addiquet, but a larger bike I feel you appreciate more on longer hauls especially. Good Luck with your decision.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Greg I totally agree as I have a 900LT love it and it is a lot of fun. I do not mind ridding 2-3 hr. & a few times a year I will ride 8-10 hr. on a week end but do not think I want to take her on any long road trips. Now I have been with friends running 80/85, but do not like ridding over 65 mph as I do not like the high rpm. Oh well I have another year to work before I retire again, so until then my 900 will do me a good job. Next year will have a big bike, as I plan on taking some road trips & I want to here thump thump thump not a sewing machine.

red

·
Drink Plenty of Water
784 Posts
I started riding last summer as well and on a VN 800. I went to a 1600 Nomad. Much smoother ride with the shaft drive and heavier bike. If you decide to go bigger you will never regret your decision. I love my Nomad and when I wear this one out (if I live that long lol) I'm gunna get another one!

I still have the 800 and took it out Sunday for a little ride just to keep the battery charged and carb working. There is no comparison in the ride. A person your size would truly enjoy a bigger bike and my suggestion is the Nomad.

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
I've had my 800 for 4 years and don't plan to upgrade for several more years. The furthest I've gone on my bike is about a 1,500 mile round trip solo and another one about 800 miles with my wife on the back. Since you say you'll always ride solo I think the 800 should do you fine. I've dressed mine up with a Mustang seat, floor boards all around, saddle bags. Now when my wife and I have more time in retirement to really haul ourselves around, I'll look to go bigger for sure as I can see us being on the road for several weeks at a time.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Oh common people, there's no rational thought in these type of questions :lol:

The guy's got wonderlust plain & simple. We all get it from time to time, ya know that little voice in the back of your mind that always tells ya the bike you have is not quite perfect and you just got to get something else ;)

Once this infection takes hold there is no cure, you just try to survive the illness by medicating with a new bike every 3-4 years :lol:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Need a bigger bike

I bought a new 2005 800 Classic loved that bike. It kept up with the "big boys" with no problems. After my wife wife started riding I kept telling her we needed a bigger bike (just because she wanted more storage for her stuff). So last May got the 07 Nomad. Love it also. Just wish I could have been able to keep the 800 too, had to do the trade in thing.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Oh common people, there's no rational thought in these type of questions :lol: :lol:
EXACTLY! we are never happy, and always want more! Its the curse of the biker! Hhhaaahhahaaarrrrrrrrrggghhhh......

Seriously, the 800 is a fine bike and SET UP RIGHT can be all ou ever need.

·
Love my 1500!
2,460 Posts
I started riding on an 800A. I loved that bike! I could keep up with the bigger bikes with no problem. But as Greg pointed out, on long trips at higher speeds, a bigger bike is just a more comfortable ride.

I bought a 1500 this fall and do not regret the decision at all. Looking forward to some long trips on it this summer.

·
Registered
294 Posts
O.K. You and only You will know when to make the change but don't do so on the sole advise of other peoples opinions as your opinion is the one that counts.

Ride the living be-giggers out of the 800 and at the end of your ride, see how you feel.
Bikenhoop said it all, he tells it like it is. You will not know till you ride and ride and ride, to some the 800 is a perfect bike and if it will do what you want it to do then the only thing to do is enjoy.....

I had the same thoughts when I bought my 900, after a while I found that I, and I alone decided, based on my needs and wants, gut feeling, looking beyond the handlebars, that I needed something a little extra. Do I regret moving up?.........well, sometimes. Do I enjoy the 1500? Yes! and so far it has met and exceeded my expectations of what was missing.

The important thing is you ride and enjoy the experiences along the way.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I've had my 800 for 4 years and don't plan to upgrade for several more years. The furthest I've gone on my bike is about a 1,500 mile round trip solo and another one about 800 miles with my wife on the back. Since you say you'll always ride solo I think the 800 should do you fine. I've dressed mine up with a Mustang seat, floor boards all around, saddle bags. Now when my wife and I have more time in retirement to really haul ourselves around, I'll look to go bigger for sure as I can see us being on the road for several weeks at a time.
i'll support you here Hilts. I've ridden cross country with 2 800's a few years ago. The 800 will eat up a 1500 topend and get better gas mileage. as far as comfort, well, i don't think Moparman or Woodchucks800 complain to much about comfort. Moparman did complain about his back but he has a bad back and at that time, it was acting up.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Tough decision. You're not coming across as someone that's been bit hard by the new bike bug. So if you really like your 800, stick with it! I will say that if/when you do upgrade, I'd go 1300 at the absolute minimum. The 1100 class is fading away and existing models would not be a big upgrade from your 800.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Im still pretty new to riding 800-B. But so far its been a very comfy ride. Iv done 3 hour rides with no prob, and thats with the stock seat. For a long trip I think a front sprocket change to keep the RPM's down and some hwy pegs would do the trick just fine.

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Im still pretty new to riding 800-B. But so far its been a very comfy ride. Iv done 3 hour rides with no prob, and thats with the stock seat. For a long trip I think a front sprocket change to keep the RPM's down and some hwy pegs would do the trick just fine.
You're doing well if you can stay in the stock seat for 3 hours. I switched to a Mustang 3 years ago and I can go all day now. I too want to get the highway pegs though.

·
Swank
1,135 Posts
I guess it depends on what you mean by 'long road trip'. I rode my 800 to Sturgis in 2007 and about the only problem I had with it is the undersized gas tank. Given the amount of bike traffic during the rally and the distance between gas stations (and my stupid @ss leaving the gas can at the campsite), it made for a bit of prayer. Plus the altitude changes just totally screw with the mileage from a carb motor. At times I'd get over 50mpg (the bike is Scooterized and has a smaller rear sprocket) and other times I'd be lucky to get 40mpg. Of course idling in traffic for an hour or two didn't help matters in that department either.

Also, with my 36 in inseam, I did start to feel a bit cramped even with the new forward controls. I still like the bike though, but it may get upgraded to something more "touring friendly".

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
Two is better than one. Get a 1500/1600 and keep the 800. Ride them both. The 800 around town and the bigger one for the open road. When the time comes, let go of the 800 or just keep it. I'd think you could find a cherry 1500/1600 for half the cost of new.

If just one bike is in the cards, I think you would like the larger bike for longer rides coupled with your size <no dig intended>.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts