Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on the way home from school someone stopped on the highway in front of me. I was cruising at 60mph. I didn't react at first. We'll call it a lapse of concentration. I was thinking about stuff that I had to do. Stuff that happened over the weekend, whatnot. That was a long stop. Not really. I used every bit of braking that my bike has. Both tires were chirping. How I stayed up is beyond my comprehension. I was so worried about brake that the bike died. I came home and parked the bike. I'm not going anywhere else today...

Be safe,
Sam

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sam; That is the most important thing a motorcycle rider (or car driver) can ever learn IMO...Glad it worked out for you and you get another chance to use what you learned!!.... Ride Safe Now! YA HEAR" :wink:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

it happens in the blink of a eye-always be ready :wink:

good title by the way

ride safe! :wink:

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
good

reminds you of the importance of being aware at all times, doesn't it. glad to see you made it through fine. i'm sure most people on here have realized they lapsed in concentration in a time that "could" have ended badly, hopefully most understand and recognize the mistake. ride safe.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Glad you made it ok Sam....

At least you were smart enough to call it the day!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to. The whole way home I KNEW that I was just gonna fall over for cheating my way past falling over right there. Let's see how today develops. I have to go over there and do some paperwork.

Ciao,
Sam

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glad you are ok Sam

My buddy just diched today. 20 mph drop. A pickup that was stopped at a stop sign just decided to pull in front of him. According to my friend

" i braked and really hard while deciding curb, the truck or ditch..and i chose ditch. As the bike was braking it was squirely and at that point I said.. ditch dicth and hear myself yell "ohhh s&^t" . All i remember is the bike going down and me flying. Then i sat holding my ankle when some idiot was yelling at me"

he's got a couple of bruises but ok. Fraing is scratched up. Turn signal is gone. Handlebars bent. Brake pedal broken. Front fork scratched maybe bent.

the pick up truck driver got out and started yelling at my friend, while he sat there holding his ankle. An officer showed up and told my friend that since the pickup truck driver just pulled in...and my friend dropped on his bike on his own the pick up truck is not responsible. There were 4 witnesses around that told the cop that they couldn't belive that the pick-up pulled into the lane. The officer didn't want to listen to any of them apparently. they all gave my friend their email addresses so he could contact them for any insurance paper work. Guess the officer was having "I hate bikers day" (friend's words).

It was a Ninja 250. it is his first bike and he's got about 2k seat miles. So I'm happy he is walking away and glad he is ok.

Suresh
Moral: Even if they are stopped... make sure they don't pull in.... be very aware.

·
Registered
837 Posts
sorry to say but motorcyclist dont get near the respect they deserve on the road... :x

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
blame

we are the ones that get the dirty looks after we perform emergency maneuvers around dumbazzes in cages ! so you're right, no we don't get the respect. most people look at bikers as either "the badazz harley type" or "punk on crotch rocket type". its sad really, sucks to be stereotyped.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Scarecrow said:
I used every bit of braking that my bike has. Both tires were chirping. How I stayed up is beyond my comprehension. I was so worried about brake that the bike died. I came home and parked the bike. I'm not going anywhere else today...

Be safe,
Sam
It's good that you know how to use both brakes. Many people get into situations like that, panic, lock up the back tire and then say "I had to lay it down" when in fact your brakes will stop your bike faster when properly used than will laying it down. Good recovery! 8)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tlwisner said:
It's good that you know how to use both brakes. Many people get into situations like that, panic, lock up the back tire and then say "I had to lay it down" when in fact your brakes will stop your bike faster when properly used than will laying it down. Good recovery! 8)
Thank you.

Sam

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Sam,

life is full of close calls. :roll: I try not to ride my bike when I am very tired, feeling sick or very pre-occupied. This leads to inattention!!!! I ride my KZ750 in rush hour traffic, up and down I65, a very busy interstate hwe in KY with lots of pot holes, 18 wheelers and crazy half blind 4 wheelers.

I have had a number of close calls and thanks to periodic refreshers on the MSF course, I have managed to remain unscathed since I first took the class when I was 21 years old!!!!!

I am glad that you reacted well and are safe. My prayers are with you and all motorcyclists out on the road this night!!!!!

Ride Safe, Ride Sane,

Heather

·
Registered
142 Posts
sorry about that one man. its kind of curious how all the cops (most of them), really do like bikes. i've been let loose by all so far. it is my understanding that most cops opt for the education and training to become motorcycle cops, yet only a handful are chosen. it must be the ones who can't ride or have some sorrowful memory that relates to bikes. you know, the azzholes? in a word pricks. Fulltilt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts