Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am brand new to motorbikes,
I bought a KH125 1997 model last weekend, it didn’t come with any service manual or instructions from the seller.
It needs refuelling and I don’t know if I have to add oil to the petrol as it is a 2 stroke or if it takes it from a reservoir somewhere.
Also does anyone know what the positions on the fuel reserve switch are as there are no marking on it. It has 3 positions 6 O’clock, 9 O’clock and 12 O’clock.
I presume one is normal usage one is reserve and one is fuel off, but don't know which is which.
I have ordered an official manual for the bike, but has not turned up yet.

Thanks

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
down should be on. Forward should be off, and up should be reserve. There should be a seperate tank for the two stroke oil but those are often removed. Look under the side covers and seat. If you can't find one be sure you mix oil with your gas. I'm not familiar with your paricular model of bike but have owned and ridden a few two strokes.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I generally mix the gas myself. I've read too many stories of oil tanks not mixing correctly (i.e. at all) and then boom.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The oil tank should be under the right ( when you sit on the bike ) side cover with the cap to fill the tank under the seat.

Mixing the gas and oil is a real pain on a street bike, use the oil tank. Very seldom will an oil pump fail ( about the same as an oil pump in a 4 stroke engine ), just make sure there is oil in the tank.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The oil tank should be under the right ( when you sit on the bike ) side cover with the cap to fill the tank under the seat.

Mixing the gas and oil is a real pain on a street bike, use the oil tank. Very seldom will an oil pump fail ( about the same as an oil pump in a 4 stroke engine ), just make sure there is oil in the tank.

+1

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Really? I've only rode in the dirt (woot pre-mix!), but a friend had one of those old yamaha 2-stroker sport bikes from the early 80s. He just carried a mixing jar with him. For that matter I don't even know if it had an oil tank on it.

Although its exceedingly difficult to find a gas station that still carries 2 stroke oil in these parts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
is there a dummy light for the 2 cycle engine oil resivoir???????
if not why take the chance....just mix it yourself I say!!!!!!!
all the gas stations here have a big selection of 2 stroke oil....they almost put walmart to shame:) of course there lots of people that ride there atv's and dirt bikes to the store and back on a dailey bases(for some reason cops dont mind)....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts