Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the kick stand kill switch which should activate when in gear has never worked on my 1500E classic which I purchased used this spring. Not a big deal but when I had my Honda Shadow previous to this bike, it was convenient when parking it to just let down the kick stand to shut her down in gear. Has anyone else experienced this and if so was it a hassle to replace? Looks like the outer and inner side covers need to be taken off in order to follow the wire lead. thks.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
try letting the clutch out with it in gear and the kickstand down, it shuts down right away....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If thats the way its supposed to work then it sure is different from what it was on my Honda. There, I could come to a stop in gear, pull the clutch in, put down the kick stand and the engine would just quit without without letting out the clutch (very smooth). With the 1500 you're saying that I would have to let the clutch out before the switch kills the engine which reults in an abrupt forward jerk of the bike. Yep, I know that I always have the red kill switch there but because it behaves differently then my Honda, I thought that there might be something wrong with it. Thanks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've found that the kawasaki kick stand switch is really fine and simply just needed to get used to it. It's primary design is so that you don't drive off with it in the down position and probably isn't meant to be used as an on/off switch. Subtle design differences between the two bikes just takes a bit of establishing new habits. For example, the fuel shutoff/on valve on the Honda as I recall was the opposite of the 1500. Several times I thought that I was turning the fuel on when in fact I was closing the valve only to run out of gas down the block. I must just be getting old.

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, I don't recommend shutting down the bike from the kickstand, the one time you'll get lazy and just pop the kickstand switch out then let go of the clutch...the switch will be broken or bypassed and your bike, still being in gear will jerk forward, maybe running into your garage door or worse a line of bikes you were about to park at

·
Registered
272 Posts
over 90% of the time I shut the bike down using the kickstand shut off method. Just park her & then use the kickstand & shut off the lights.

Guess I'm just naturally lazzy :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts