Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a new 09 kawi ninja 650r...I didn't get my license yet so she's going to be sittin' in the lonely garage. The garage floor is really slick it seems and I was wondering if there was something I could attack to the bottom of the kickstand to prevent it from sliding or easily tipping?? I've seen this stuff...but didn't know exactly what to buy or where to buy it.

Thanks!
Papillon Princess

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
So I just bought a new 09 kawi ninja 650r...I didn't get my license yet so she's going to be sittin' in the lonely garage. The garage floor is really slick it seems and I was wondering if there was something I could attack to the bottom of the kickstand to prevent it from sliding or easily tipping?? I've seen this stuff...but didn't know exactly what to buy or where to buy it.

Thanks!
Papillon Princess
Honestly, as long as you keep the bike in gear, it's not going to go far. The main problem with kickstands is the small surface area that can make them sink into soft ground - or very hot pavement. In fact, it has so little surface area, it's going to offer almost zero resistance to the bike shifting or rolling. Your tires have way more grip than the little toe on the kickstand. Likewise, the connection from the stand to the frame is also more secure than where it meets the ground, so it's unlikely to tip over unless something falls or pushes hard enough against the bike (or a gust of wind hits it) to tip it over under normal circumstances.

The slipping issue is a different thing completely and something you should address by correcting the floor itself. The reason is, your feet are more likely to slip while moving the bike around than the chances of the bike slipping while sitting on the side stand.

Stripping and coating the floor properly will likely cost less than repairing broken plastic.

Now, as for preventing the kickstand from sinking...:

Kickstand Kritters :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

;) :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
That is absolutely hilarious! I've never heard of those before, but I just might have to get one now!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response! The floor should already be properly done, this is a newly built house, my dad says I shouldn't worry but I don't want my bike to fall over on it or any other surface. As for the kickstand critter....I will so pass on that!

As for a bike stand...I'll be having someone do that stuff for me, so I won't need it for that reason and there isn't enough room for the stand in our garage. I had to store my bike at the dealer for a while until I could clear a spot for it! So there's just enough room for it to safely fit.

Thanks

·
Sick Puppy
3,210 Posts

That is wrong in so many ways, but I like it. Need a larger selection though. How about a skunk?

·
Registered
466 Posts
You can get a kickstand puck. It is usually made of plastic. You can carry it with you when you are riding and if you stop where there is asphalt or soft ground or a rock filled(instead of asphalt) parking lot you can place the puck under your kickstand and it will be less likely to sink and make your bike fall. Some people carry a crushed soda can or a small square of wood.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
You can get a kickstand puck. It is usually made of plastic. You can carry it with you when you are riding and if you stop where there is asphalt or soft ground or a rock filled(instead of asphalt) parking lot you can place the puck under your kickstand and it will be less likely to sink and make your bike fall. Some people carry a crushed soda can or a small square of wood.
+1

kickstand pucks are usually given out for free at bike shows. i've got a few.
they easilly fit in a jacket pocket and help keep the bike stable on hot asphalt, grass, gravel, mud, etc.

they're not expensive to buy either.

the bike won't really slip around on a garage floor though. they're heavy machines and are pretty stable when the stand it down.

You might want to look into getting some paddock stands.
very useful for when lubing your chain and doing other work on your bike that requires the rear or front wheel off the ground.

:oops: shameful picture ho'ing to show you what the paddock stands look like and do...

they're also great in the winter to keep the tyres off the cold ground which might cause tyre deformation if the bike's left for long periods of time :)

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Well, I'm going to until I trust myself doing it...I want everything done properly on my bike.
Will you pay someone to check your tyre pressure every time you ride too?

;)

:lol:

(just teasin)

lubing your chain is about as simple as brushing your teeth.
you just warm the chain up by going for a short ride... then spray chain lube onto the chain while roating the back wheel.
(if you haven't got a rear wheel paddock stand, which'll cost about $60, then you just wheel the bike back and forth so you can oil all the chain)
then you go for another short ride to distribute the lube over the chain and sprockets.

I'd feel robbed if i paid someone to do that.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have a kickstand base-
Blacktop in hot summer can let a small area kickstand sink in resulting in the bike tipping over. Same for if you happen to pull off the road in gravel or dirt etc. The increased area provided by the base spreads the lean weight of the bike out over a larger surface area making sinking into the surface less likely.

More surface area = less pressure per square inch on the ground = less likely to sink in and test my frame sliders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts