Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I had my kickstand cutoff switch disabled, or at the very least it is not functional. I have a Clymer's manual but it doesn't even list that as one of the functional mechanisms. I was wondering if somebody could help explain to me how it works (and more importantly how to get it up and running), or direct me to a site that explains it.

On a slight side note, do people think it is worth getting the bike manual? I was hoping the Clymer would be a more detailed version of the bike manual, but unfortunately I don't think it is.

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
its a switch that either completes or breaks a starting circuit. did you find it on the frame where you kickstand is ? it will be a push button style device with 2 wires coming from it. you can either unhook the wires where they plug into the harness or buy a new one if the existing one checks out bad (use a ohm meter and do a resitance test on it, .2-.8ohms in one postion and OFL in the other) if you unhook it just plug the two ends into each other on the harness side (one female,one male plug)
as for the manuals GET THE SERVICE MANUAL FROM YOUR DEALER its the best manual out there PERIOD !
good luck

·
Registered
213 Posts
The Clymer manual should definitely discuss it. Both the Clymer manuals I have discuss all the safety switches in the electrical chapter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, I looked up kickstand and nothing was there. I'll take a look at the electrical specific section. I also took a look at it last nigth and I can see the wire, but i can't see the mechanism exactly. I think I'm going to have to remove the fairing to get at it easier. But I live in NYC, and it just got very cold in the past few days. I'll have to see if I still have it in me to work on it outside. I might have to move it in soon too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Kickstand safety switch

Hi:
Im in NYC too. I hate the cold. there should be a switch there for those wires. It may be there but dissconnected due to the switch being N.G. Get it working. You'll be surprised it comes in handy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts