Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I ventured out on a track day I unloaded my bike from the back of my truck to find out that my battery was dead. I didn't think much of it jump started it and had a great day. The following month same situation same dead battery. I racked my brain thinking where have I gone wrong? I roll my bike into the back of my truck get out the tie downs and for some reason I would put up the kick stand. Now I'm wondering is the cut off switch draining my battery? Is having the steering unlocked and the front tire straight causing the problem? I'm lost does anyone have a remedy???? My bike is a 2002 zx-6r.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
pegscraper said:
Last time I ventured out on a track day I unloaded my bike from the back of my truck to find out that my battery was dead. I didn't think much of it jump started it and had a great day. The following month same situation same dead battery. I racked my brain thinking where have I gone wrong? I roll my bike into the back of my truck get out the tie downs and for some reason I would put up the kick stand. Now I'm wondering is the cut off switch draining my battery? Is having the steering unlocked and the front tire straight causing the problem? I'm lost does anyone have a remedy???? My bike is a 2002 zx-6r.
Those things shouldn't make a difference, how long are you going inbetween starting your bike?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I start my bike at least twice a week, and when I put it in the back of my truck for the track day it's about a 3.5 hour drive. :?

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
While a battery tender is a good idea, none of these are the problem, folks.

Pegscraper, you have a drain somewhere that is killing your battery. I'd suspect a few things, to begin with. Look for any switches that aren't working properly (and remove or bypass them, if it's a track/race bike)

Next, use a multimeter and see if you can find what's causing the drain. Parasitic drain is what's killing the battery, which means that something somwhere is pulling juice. Find it, and fix it.

Failing that, check your battery's age, and the specific gravity of each cell. Once the cells start to go, it's only a matter of time before the battery will totally refuse to take a charge.

If none of these are the culprit, I'd be surprised, honestly. CHeck'em out...I bet I'm dead on the money.

ZX

·
Registered
7 Posts
not the battery

i wouldnt think its the battery .. if he starts the bike twice a week .. im pretty sure more then 3 and a 1/2 hours in a twice a week start up.. pretty sure you have a draw from something. The best way is to disconnect the positive side of the battery.. put a test light between the post and the terminale .. if the light goes on .. youve got a draw .. go through the steps. of exactly what you do from off the trailer and on the trailer ,, im sure youll find your draw somewhere between these 2 points.

·
Registered
7 Posts
more info

you may have an immediate draw if your bike has a clock.. start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out .. thats just another way as well

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Parasitic Drain

IF it is truely "Parasitic" you should use an amp-meter between the battery and the battery wire (you may have to go as far as to adjust it down to Milliamps mA)...then start pulling fuses...then disconnecting wires in that circuit until you find out which one is causing the drain. IF the Battery is old I'd just go out and buy one anyway...no one want to be surprised on a nice spring day, or a hot summer day..or anyday...just buy one...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts