Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at home decided to go to Durham College in SHwa for some practice on my leaning and looking.

Anyhow started off very slow and then working my way up
found a comfort zone in second gear at about 40kmh sometimes more sometimes less.

I was making nice smooths turns and circles in both directions. But after about 30 min I notice I am getting quite low to the ground and it almost felt sometimes like I might fall over.

Is that because I am going to slow for the amount of lean? The surface is newly paved ashfalt. And with the warmth it prolly was nice and sticky so I know i wasn't sliding. But I had to put the foot down twice because I thought I would fall over. I gave a bit more gas to straighten up and it seemed to work.

I prolly couldn't touched the knee if I would of extened but I was in jeans and didn't want to try it.

How slow is to slow to be leaning to drag a kneww or get down low? Any slower and I woulda been on the ground I am sure of it.

Any suggestion would be helpful. Just A note, I wasn't trying to drag my knee just working on leaning.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
If the bike didn't give way then you are probably just leaning farther over. Look for chicken strips on your tires (unused tread near the edges). You can drag knee on every sportbike, but you really have to build up to that.

Although you might feel like you're leaned over very far, in reality you probably aren't leaned over as far as you think. When you start scraping hard parts its time to start hanging off the bike (or slowing down).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok the left i got it right down to like a half inch.

I was leaning off the seat a little. Felt like i didn't carry enough speed to hold the bike from falling all the way oover on its side. As soon as I gave alittle more throttle the bike picked itself right back up to a comfortable position.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on getting a digi camer or digi video cam to get my brother to record me so I can see how I am doing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you think a bigger tire on the rear would make my feel more comfortable??

and with the canadian weather starting to cool more and more do you think its safe to lean when the tires may not be as warm?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the way I am thinking is that I would have more tire hitting the pavment which would make for a more stable lean?

Am i wrong?

·
Need to fix bike
405 Posts
TrashMonkey said:
Actually I think new paved asphalt can be slippery, not 100% on that...someone help me here. Also speed could be a factor, going slow...I am sure someone else has some better experience to answer this, but thought I'd give it a go
I don’t have a scientific answer to this, but when out riding I love the freshly paved twisties. While I don’t feel too much slip on old roads (I don’t ride as fast either), I feel more comfortable pushing the limit, on the fresh roads. The road is a whole lot smoother (no ridges in the road).

·
Registered
605 Posts
40kmh is not fast enough to be touching your knee to the ground, you said it yourself...if you had the ability to put your foot down (because you thought you were going to fall) and not have it ripped back severely then you definitely weren't going fast enough.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think the key is more speed and harder lean. I will give it a try tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Stuart said:
40kmh is not fast enough to be touching your knee to the ground, you said it yourself...if you had the ability to put your foot down (because you thought you were going to fall) and not have it ripped back severely then you definitely weren't going fast enough.
I wouldn't say that... 24mph is pretty fast for a decreasing radius hairpin rated at 15mph. It all depends your speed to turning ratio. Slower speeds require sharper turns to lean more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i got full gear.

shark rsf prism helmet, joe rocket gpx 2 piece suit with 360 zip, alpinestars gps3 boots, and joerocket blaster gloves.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i don't got a digi cam I really need to get one soon. If you wanted pics of the gear you can do searches...

the gloves I got free when I bought all the other stuff.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts