Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 20W-D tailBlazer from Kisan for my Vulcan 900. As soon as I received the part I installed with no problems, and tested it. It was much brighter than the original, and the strong blinking pattern was definitely eye catching. I was a happy customer.

After a while I started hearing a rattling sound from the tail of the bike… especially when I hit a good bump. I assumed that it was from my bags mounted with EasyBrackets. One evening I took the bike for what ended up being a short ride without the bags after a wash and still heard the noise. I started looking for the culprit by knocking on the finder, and in a few moments I had narrowed it down to the tail light. One screw later I found the problem.

The brass colored metal ring on the outside of the tailBlazer had fallen off the assembly. It made hundreds of scratches inside the tail light as it bounced around, both on the reflective surface and the red lens, removing most of the chrome at the bottom of the reflector.

I contacted Kisan, e-mailed pics of the damage, and sent the defective product back.

About a month later I got a new bulb back from Kissan. Everything went together fine. They said a claim had been filed with their insurance company to get the damaged tail light assembly replaced.

Then this morning I got a check from Kisan in the mail for $119.85 to cover a new tail light asembly!!:eek:!! Although it took 3 months they finally did the right thing. Parts will take a week or so from the dealer.

I think this qualifies as excellent customer service.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I respectfully disagree. I understand that you are satisfied, and that's what counts for you.

IMO, they are saying "we are not responsible for damage caused by our manufacturing a defective part. However, our insurance company occasionally is responsible; we'll have a chat with them for you, and let you know."

Excellent customer service is Kisan making it right with their customer, and then Kisan recovering from their insurance company. This may just seem like semantics since the outcome was satisfactory to you, but if their insurance had denied the claim, I think you'd be able to appreciate the difference.

Bottom line, the insurance company did not make the defective part. They shouldn't be in the loop between you and Kisan.

Cheers!

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
So, if you're in an auto accident that is your fault you go ahead and pay the other person out of pocket for the damage you caused then try to collect from your insurance company?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
So, if you're in an auto accident that is your fault you go ahead and pay the other person out of pocket for the damage you caused then try to collect from your insurance company?
Not a relevant argument. The person you hit is not your customer.

However, even if your insurance company denied the claim, you would still be held financially liable, and the person you hit would be able to attach whatever assets you had to satisfy your debt. You would then have to sue your insurance company to recover the loss. Whether you recovered from your insurance in no way affects the debt to the person you hit.

Cheers!

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok, so you're a landscaper and while working at a customer site your bobcat does some damage to their house. You still pay for the damage out of pocket first and then file the claim with your insurance? You know, the insurance that you have been paying for to protect you in case you damage someones property?

I see no indication that Kisan would not have paid for the damage if the insurance had not covered it.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
First, I apologize for my inability to communicate adequately.

As a contractor, I had a sub sever the electrical service to a commercial building. Not my fault, not the sub's as we had checked both the original plans and had the utility district mark where the lines were supposed to be (not to mention they had also been checked by the design engineer ,etc.) But for the poor tenant (a Baskin Robbins) who lost all power to his freezers, it would have been a disaster and certainly wasn't his fault.

I paid immediately out of pocket to get an electrical sub out to fix it, and rented generators to power the BR in the meantime. Everybody's insurance sorted it out eventually. Are you suggesting I should have let the BR guy file a claim against the various insurance companies and lose his product and business in the meantime? I guess that's legal, but it isn't ethical in my book. My customer wouldn't have thought it good service, since he would certainly be on the receiving end of very bad feelings from the guy who owned the BR.

Well, anyway, do business however it suits you. I was just trying to explain my standards. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers!

John

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was just trying to see where you were coming from and why you seemed hesitant to involve an insurance company. You made your point very well and I applaud your business ethics.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I was just trying to see where you were coming from and why you seemed hesitant to involve an insurance company. You made your point very well and I applaud your business ethics.
+10,000

Unfortunately, you are a dying breed.

·
2007 Red 900 Custom
525 Posts
Ok, so you're a landscaper and while working at a customer site your bobcat does some damage to their house. You still pay for the damage out of pocket first and then file the claim with your insurance? You know, the insurance that you have been paying for to protect you in case you damage someones property?

I see no indication that Kisan would not have paid for the damage if the insurance had not covered it.
Yes, the landscaper needs to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed by his insurance. If the landscaper refuses and says he will wait until insurance pays it off, you can and should sue him and get the funds as soon as possible in order to make the home livable. The landscaper will even have to pay for a hotel for the family. Although, insurance can be pretty quick about some things, 3 months is much too long.

·
Not so Ole Fart
326 Posts
Yes, the landscaper needs to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed by his insurance. If the landscaper refuses and says he will wait until insurance pays it off, you can and should sue him and get the funds as soon as possible in order to make the home livable. The landscaper will even have to pay for a hotel for the family. Although, insurance can be pretty quick about some things, 3 months is much too long.
Well...............I'm thinking they did the right thing, even though it took so long. They could have told you, you damaged it during installation and they are not responsible for that.

Regards:
Usttobee50

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
I also bought a Tailblazer from Kisan and they provided good service. But in the matter of the damaged tail light assembly as the damage was not extensive and expensive but still obviously the fault of the product they sold, had they provided excellent customer service they should have replaced their product and paid for the tail light assembly up front. But with product liability situations as they are in this country of lawsuits and government agencies' involvements Kisan's action in more understandable. At least the outcome was just, even if that took time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I respectfully disagree. I understand that you are satisfied, and that's what counts for you.

IMO, they are saying "we are not responsible for damage caused by our manufacturing a defective part. However, our insurance company occasionally is responsible; we'll have a chat with them for you, and let you know."

Excellent customer service is Kisan making it right with their customer, and then Kisan recovering from their insurance company. This may just seem like semantics since the outcome was satisfactory to you, but if their insurance had denied the claim, I think you'd be able to appreciate the difference.

Bottom line, the insurance company did not make the defective part. They shouldn't be in the loop between you and Kisan.

Cheers!

John

I agree. I just heard this phrase the other day but I truely believe it... "A satisfied customer is worthless but a loyal customer is priceless." I believe in this situation the company only satisfied our dear friend here by 3 months later sending out a check from the insurance company. In that sense they satisfied him, like any other company could have done. In order to earn a true loyal customer they should have taken care of the issue at the time of complaint with no hesitations, that would have truely earned a happy and loyaly satisfied customer who would get them further business in the future. A loyal customer is more likely to pay higher prices if need be, where as a satisfied customer is one who doesn't care how rude the customer service, as long as he gets the product he wants, and is "satisfied."

Just my thoughts on a phrase I just heard and how I believe it fits in with everything business like! hehe :)

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Old thread, but let me bring it up to date. The metal ring on the replacement Kisan light fell off also. I notice the noise quickly before it did much damage. I fixed it with some glue and bending the ring slightly. I will not buy another. As a mater of fact, I bought a Kuryakyn brake light modulator for the V2K instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts