Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 97 KLF 300 and love it but ran into an electrical problem recently. Starts intermittantly. Put a new starter relay on it but didn't fix the problem. Can jump the battery directly to the starter and it turns over so not the starter. Took the Regulator/Rectifier off and cleaned connectors with a electrical terminal cleaner (just sprayed them). Then took off the IC ignitor Terminal cables and cleaned those connectors with the spray and it started perfectly for about 1 hour. Did some work on the rear brake and just for kicks tried to start again and now it's back to starting intermittantly. Any ideas what it might be or how to determine what the problem is. Did have another problem but think it has been overcome but who knows, it might be a part of the pieces of the problem. When I started it a couple of times I had a slow blow on the 30Amp fuse. I think it was ground wire problem that may be fixed since I started it a few times after unhooking a ground that seemed faulty and the fuse did not blow. Just mentioning in case that also tells someone what may be the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 97 KLF 300 and love it but ran into an electrical problem recently. Starts intermittantly. Put a new starter relay on it but didn't fix the problem. Can jump the battery directly to the starter and it turns over so not the starter. Took the Regulator/Rectifier off and cleaned connectors with a electrical terminal cleaner (just sprayed them). Then took off the IC ignitor Terminal cables and cleaned those connectors with the spray and it started perfectly for about 1 hour. Did some work on the rear brake and just for kicks tried to start again and now it's back to starting intermittantly. Any ideas what it might be or how to determine what the problem is. Did have another problem but think it has been overcome but who knows, it might be a part of the pieces of the problem. When I started it a couple of times I had a slow blow on the 30Amp fuse. I think it was ground wire problem that may be fixed since I started it a few times after unhooking a ground that seemed faulty and the fuse did not blow. Just mentioning in case that also tells someone what may be the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Did you ever find out what this was??? We had a few ignition switches go bad that would do the same thing. You may want to probe the start side of the starter to conferm you get 12volt power each time you twist the key. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loose or corroded ground wire?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.