Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helping a neighbor get his Kawasaki KLF 300b running. He got it in a non running condition. I found a short circuit from the ignition switch to the brown wire and traced it back to a wire that seems to go into the engine.
The 30A fuse blows as soon as you use the ignition switch.
I have worked on British cars like MGB's, etc. so I can usually fix most electrical issues but I have never worked on ATV's.
In the picture below it is the slimmer plastic sheathed 2 wire one.
(I know it looks pretty dirty, I just traced it down today.)
Where it comes from the main harness the wire is light green.
What am I looking at?
Thanks.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a short circuit tester and was able to isolate as best as I can tell to this green wire. I get conductivity from the brown wire at the ignition switch to this light green wire when both are disconnected from any other wires.
Somewhere this light green wire is shorted to ground. Where should I check or is this wires insulation bad and it is touching part of the case?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So finally got time to do some more testing and now when I plug in the green wire it does not blow the fuse when I put ignition on.
(I am using the Power Probe 2000 test equipment)
I tried the start switch with no results and found the starter relay is dead. I tested it and the relay clicks but no connection between the 2 power posts.
I will be getting a new one, not sure on the year of the ATV as the serial number area is rusty and only 3 number are visible!
I will match it by pictures, found one on Amazon that has the correct plug receptacle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I will try the sandpaper tip, this was not a good place for a serial #, get s plenty of mud on it at this location!
Here is the one I ordered, it appears identical in appearance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some progress, not sure why but moving some wires around temporarily stops the short and blowing the fuse. Replaced starter relay with Amazon one, cleaned starter motor connections and finally got the engine to crank with starter switch.
However the new starter realy is defective (just clicks, when jumping it the starter does work) and will order one from Partszilla. Based upon wiring diagram this is a 1995-1999 model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts