Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i am new and need help with my klr250 (87) front brakes.

i pull the lever, nothing happens.
i have checked the brake fluid, i think i have enough.

but something should happen.

please help.

cheers,
sadzy.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
you might have better luck in the offroad or mechanics section.
I am unfamiliar with the set up on that bike but you might wanna look at the simple stuff like the pads or shoes if its a front drum setup.
If thats all ok crack open a bleeder and see if you get any fluid out when you depress the lever, if not its most likely a bad master cyl but I WOULD CHECK THE OTHER STUFF FIRST

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
Yep. If you push down and the brake is loose, the problem is probably air in your lines. Bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Since it's an '87, it's possible the master cylinder needs rebuilding. Try bleeding the brakes first, since it could probably use a good flush, and if the level in the master cylinder doesn't go down, you need to rebuild it. Good news: The parts are cheap, and with a service manual, can be rebuilt at home with a minimum of tools.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx guys,

i have been bleeding the lines a few times and the fluid does come out, the the level in the master cylinder does not go down.

sounds like the master cylinder is not working.
i checked the pads and the blade, they seemed fine.
the lines also looked ok.

i will have a go at the master cylinder and see what i can achieve.

in the meantime, if there is something else that anyone can suggest, please let me know.

regards,
sadzy.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Don't look at the outsides of the lines. Take them off and blow air through them. If they've swelled, they will have swelled on the inside. Blowing air through will also blow out any clots of jellied DOT 3 that may be lurking in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts