Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you use knobbies and use the KLR650 heavily off road the rear tire will eventually rip off the inner fender and license plate bracket. Time to move the license plate bracket on the big KLR. I wanted something that looks relatively proper and I want it properly lighted.

The first thing I did was looked around for a light that I could mount above the plate. No light will get you pulled over around here, so that's gotta be there.

I found this one at auto zone with the trailer lights.(blazer part #B461);

The first thing I did was to remove the old bracket and light. A 10mm socket and a pair of wire snips got the job done.

Next was to cut the old inner fender off. I used a dremel tool for this job. This is what I took off;

As the disassembled parts laid in front of me two things became clear. First the old light mounting holes are very close to the new lights holes, they aren't 100% perfect, but if you just start the first one and then start the second they work great;

Second I found that the plate bracket and the light bracket match up perfect, the bolts from the plate bracket bolt right to the light bracket. I then bent the light bracket out a bit, until it would point the light at the plate, drilled two holes in the fender to mount and viola';

I filled in the back of the light with just enough blue gasket maker to keep the water out as the back of the light is pointed up;

I mounted the light so the wires came out the left side. I drilled a small hole, and used heat shrink tubing to complete the splice;

When I went to bolt the plate on I found that the plate came in contact with the light bracket. I dremeled off the top lip where it contacted;

Bolted everything together and this is the outcome;

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good job. What is the white cannister behind the toolbox for?
I use it to hold little knick knacks like handi-wipes and kleenex and a can of fix-a-flat. Nice items to keep around, but not a big deal if I lose them. (stolen or the cap comes off)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts