Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my son a used (about 20 miles from previous owner) KLX 100. He rode it with the Gas Lever in the off position until it turned off.

Now, we can't start it. It smelled like gas and was also dripping from the gas tube. I removed the spark plug - cleaned it and aired it out to no avail.

We're somewhat new to motorcycles. Any suggestions appreciated.

Stef110

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
you ran it out of gas to start with, no biggie there.
the gas running from the carb means your float/needle are prob. stuck from dirt getting into the carb. pull the carb and clean it out. before putting the bowl back on make sure the float/needle move up and down smoothly. you can also test this by blowing (with your mouth) into the fuel line fitting on the carb, air should go thru till you push the FLOAT up into the carb body then it should quit. might want to clean the pilot jet while your in there also. small screwdriver and some wire that will fit thru it smoothly. look at your manual and it will show where these parts are located.
i would also put a NEW plug in it. fuel fowled plugs are not gonna start the bike.
good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced plug and cleaned carb - no luck. Proceeded to check the electrical - the spark plug and components are not getting a spark when cranking the engine. My neighbor seems to think it's the CDI(?) box.
If true, this is strange because the bike has under 20 miles total.
Is it time for the dealer$hip?

Any additional tips & tricks are welcome.

Thanks for the reply QKENUF4U.

Stef110

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
it COULD be the cdi box. you need a manual so that you can check the components that lead to the cdi box. most of the time you CAN NOT test the CDI box so you have to rule out everything else first. could be the pick-up around the stator that triggers the coils or a low speed coil etc... the manual should tell you how to check most parts and give you a trouble shooting guide.
good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts