Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with a tech down at the local shop about adjusting the suspension on my 12 year old son's 2003 KLX 125. He said to measure the bike's height at the end of the rear fender without my son sitting on it. Then re-measure with him on the bike. The difference between the two shouldn’t be much more than an inch. Well, there was a 2-½ inch difference. I maxxed out the adjustment on the mono and was only able to get a 2” difference. Is the 1 to 1 ½ inch difference right? Any problem with having the adjustment on the mono maxxed out? Thanks!

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
get the right spring for you sons weight. its gonna have some serious REBOUND with the spring maxed out. (dont think i would want to ride it that way :shock: ) if you have a manual it will prob. tell you how to set up the suspension.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help

I just purchased my almost 12 year old son a 2003 KLX 125 also which he has not seen yet.

I've looked all over the web trying to figure out how to adjust the ride height and this is the closest I have gotten to finding an answer, even by looking through the manual.

Would you all mind giving me some basic instruction on how to lower the bike?

By the way, I'm in Houston and grew up in Corpus.

Thanks,

Matt Kelly

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
do you want to lower it or get the right sag for your sons weight ? a spring will get the sag right (allow your to adjust the PRELOAD)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have to go along with what QKENUF4U stated. The two are totally different. My 12 year old has no problem with the standing height of the bike. His problem is the sag once he in on the bike. I am looking at changing out the spring to accommodate his weight. He rode my KX125 up at Huntsville yesterday and used a box to stand on in order to get going and stop the bike.

Your son is going to love his new bike!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts