Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a knocking sound in my engine, especially when I start up. It lessens a bit after warming up, but doesn't go away, and seems to be getting a little worse. I took her to the shop last week and the mechanic said it was nothing and to expect some funny noises etc, but since it's getting worse I believe I may have a problem. I am goin back today, and if he says it's still okay, I wanna get it documented, so they won't give me any trouble if/when it has to be fixed later. I am under warranty of course, so not overly concerned as long as I get everything in writing. Wish me luck ! :-?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Knocking noise

Get it checked but expect to SMELL funny NOISES as you put more mileage on the bike. It takes a while for a bike to break in. I have 5000 miles on my 02 800 classic and its now just starting to sound like a real bike. Your right , get the noise documented. Then, get a set of Cobra Slant Cut pipes put on the bike and the noise will go away. LOL

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
This may help:

"When my engine is idling, especially when cold, there is a knocking or banging sound coming from inside. Is this normal?"

Believe it or not it is perfectly normal. The actual cause of that noise seems to be in some dispute with 'expert' opinions ranging from the clutch basket (because you'll notice the sound goes away when you pull in the clutch lever) to the balance shafts bouncing around due to slack in the drive chain. Still others blame the clutch overrun mechanism that protects against the rear tire sliding if you downshift and pop the clutch.

There is a fix. All you have to do is be sure your engine is idling at the factory recommended 950 rpm (+ - 50). At that speed the idle is smooth enough that whatever lash is really causing the banging isn't an issue any longer. BTW another good reason to keep the engine at recommended idle speed is oil pressure. Dropping RPM so you have that really cool sounding potato-potato sound means little or no oil getting up to your overhead cams which means excessive wear which means big bucks out of your pocket.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/faq.htm#knock

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Alex214 said:
Hi all. I have a knocking sound in my engine, especially when I start up. It lessens a bit after warming up, but doesn't go away, and seems to be getting a little worse. I took her to the shop last week and the mechanic said it was nothing and to expect some funny noises etc, but since it's getting worse I believe I may have a problem. I am goin back today, and if he says it's still okay, I wanna get it documented, so they won't give me any trouble if/when it has to be fixed later. I am under warranty of course, so not overly concerned as long as I get everything in writing. Wish me luck ! :-?
They do that just before they blow up! just kidding Bro. These guy's will ease you worry's.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sounds like this one has been answered but here is one additional tidbit.

BUY SOME AFTERMARKET PIPES...YOU WON'T HEAR ALL THOSE WHIRRING, CLUNKING, CLICKING SOUNDS! :grin:

Seriously, hope all is well internally. It's been so long since I had stock pipes on, I can't remember if I heard anything when she was new. For your piece of mind, document the finding IN WRITING to the dealer. That way you are fully protected beyond 12 months. Tell him in advance you are doing so for your piece of mind and not take it personally.

Best of luck,

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

idle speed is important-kawi vtwins love good oil pressure :wink:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. :grin: I like the "new pipes" idea !!! I think I am goin with HK staggered straights when i can afford them. Still gonna go get it documented tho, bcs it is getting worse. I figure better safe than sorry.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
bikeaholic said:
idle speed is important-kawi vtwins love good oil pressure :wink:
yeah, i guess i need to get my tach installed so i am at the right idle. most likely the Nomad is idling too low, ooops. thanks for the heads up Whistle and Bike.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i talked to two dealers and one of them called kawasaki and kawasaki said its normal
i still was concerned so i had the service guy at my dealer ride it he siad thats not bad it will probably get worse as you get a few more miles on it and that they have tried to fix this but it hasn't helped and that they haave made this engine since 96 and they are all like that but they have very few problems with them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts