Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya again,

does anyone know whats needed to convert the kr1s 18" rear wheel to the 17", i'm told i could use a rgv250, but the ones i've seen have all been 18".
I'm after spacer sizes and which wheel to use, preferbly keeping my rear brake setup alreay fitted.

cheers

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WHEELS

Hey, TART! Tell you what...yousend the bike over to me here in Kansas, and I'll work on it for you...I'm not sure how many years it will take,,,but once I figure out not only the right wheels and what tires work the best I'll send it back...all you need to do is to give me the Limited Power of Attorney to do so...well, if that won't work for you...perhaps looking into the axlebolt, bearig sizes and comparing them to the ZZX-250 or something...I would think that 18" tires would still fairly easy to come by though....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the offer, but i think i'll have to pass on that one this time round though.

my zxr250 has got the same 18" wheel fitted which restricts the grippier rubber choice i have, i can shred standard road tyres in under 2000 miles and they dont give me the feedback i want, my pig of a zx600e had 17" rims and that had a much better choice of rubber, still didnt stop me planting it into the front a car though last month.

i just want a decent choice of rubber and with the 18" i only have 2 to choose from.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for that, the two i knew off were dunlop and metzler, so i'll have a go at tracking down some avons in my size if i dont get to do the conversion..

thanx

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
deeper

Tart,
I can look much deeper if you wish...and look for more sources...if you wish...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx for the offer, i'm playing with my zx600e rear end at the moment to see if i can use that, the front off the bikes wrecked now, but the rear is still good, so i might as well see if its some use before i bin it all.

i'll get back to you and let you know how it all goes in the next couple of days.......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hiya again,

zx600e rear swinging arm didnt fit, about 10mm to wide. so binned that idea.

found a kr1/kr1s forum in the uk that had all the info i need to do the conversion, so i;m now tracking down the nescessary bits to go ahead and do the swapover. if it works, i'll try it on my zxr250r as well, cos she's got 18" rear wheel as well.

thanx for your input so far zx2r, when i eventually get over to the states (hopefully next summer) i'll make sure i try to catch up with u for a beer or 2.

thanx
andi

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
CONVERSION

Hopefully the conversion will be successful! If you need ANY help looking for parts, or just want some information looked up I'll give it a go. I don't know what Kawasaki has up it's sleeve (maybe nothing for the US) but I did see a 750 that looked like it was on the leading edge of technology. I've seen the Suzuki GSX750R in the August 2004 SPORT RIDER Magazine. I'd like to see more 250's here in the US and I'd definately like to see the ZZR-250 come to us. I may still end up waiting for one for a couple of years...then go to Canada if I have to. I wouldn't mind finding a 2 Stroke that could handle the roads. Our dual sport choice is either a 250 or 650 both 4 stroke, single cylinder. Meanwhile I'm working on pulling parts for my EX250R. I think that if plastic weld will melt the plastic enoug to hold/bond carbon fiber mat, I may add the fine mesh and try to widen the standard fairing to include my legs behind it instead of leaving them exposed, and creating drag. Chat with you later!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hiya again,

if the frame number on your bike is ex250, then is your bike the same model as what we in the u.k know as the gpx250. if it is then theres a full fairing available with framework etc. if you do a search on the net for gpx250 or if you want to see a naked model which i believe you might have at the moment, try gpz250 or gpz250r. hope this helps playing with what you've already got, probably be a lot easier as well.

regards

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FRAME NUMBER

VIN JKAEXMF193A096048
My Kawasaki Motorcycle Service Manual is for the Ninja250R, GPZ250R.
So my bike isn't covered by my manual because mine is a 2002...but it gives me hope to find parts...they should be close enough...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts