Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a Kuryakyn Hypercharger airbox. Only one question left about it. How far out beyond the stock airbox does it set? I called Scootworks and they said 2 to 3 inches. That seems like a lot and would probably affect my decision about using it. Talked to someone at Thunder Air and he said it's only about an inch or less for the hypercharger. The Thunder airbox he said is about the same as stock, as to its position. If the Hypercharger is too far out, it's bound to hit your leg and be a little uncomfortable. I've seen some posts in CC saying that shorter people have a little problem with Hypercharger design and if you have forward controls, that also creates a problem. Anyone?

·
Registered
439 Posts
What's a hypercharger, and what does it do?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
AJ , I've got the HC on my 800A an it only stick's out about an 1" farther than stock. I'm 5' 10" with a 32" inseam an I don't have a problem with interference. I wouldn't know about interference with forward controls though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Woodchuck, I thought you did. The only thing on the forwards is that they straighten your legs out a little and therefore would probably bring them more toward the center of the bike. If the HC was 2 to 3 inches out from stock your leg probably would be right up against it. I could see this being a problem for a shorter person that had FC's but not for someone taller. Thanks for the input. I'm always reluctant to accept the word of the people that sell these things. You get so many conflicting comments from these people. When you call and ask a question I always get a response like you're just a big PITA. All they want you to do is just buy something. Thanks again.

·
Registered
439 Posts
woodchuck....... not very informative, but thanks for the thought

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have the H/C on my 800A and I'am 5"8 sure it sticks out a little took me about 5 / 10 min. to get used to it and I love it.:)

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Mangler an Ajay , I've got the kuryakyn large iso pegs on mine an my foot could of used a little more room so I bought the 1" extentions for the pegs made a big difference, definitely worth it. they also make a 1 1/2 " extention as well. Just ordered them direct from kuryakyn , I don't think you'll get any better price on them elsewhere since no body will have them in stock. Just a thought if you change out the pegs.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thats a great idea i to changed the pegs to kuryakyn but did not think about the extentions,I might have to look into that thanks.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
AJAY, i know woodchucks has the 800 as well so keep his info at the top of your list. that being said, the hypercharger on my Nomad definitely sticks out more than 1 inch. my leg rests against it quite often actually. i have heard the the Thunder kit is a little slimmer and is supposed to give better performance results. i may end up changing over to the Thunder kit down the road, that is if i have a couple hundred burning a hole in my pocket !!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey Dwayne... do you find yourself s****ing your pegs a lot more often with the extensions?

·
Registered
244 Posts
That word is skraping, btw.

Hey Bike, are you gonna get that fixed or what? Just kidding man, new site looks great.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I want to buy the Pro Series Hypercharger, but I have a few questions. My Drifter 1500 is fuel injected. The actual air filter is on the left side, but the installation of the Pro Series is on the right side. That's fine. However, does it make the bike look a little ackward or out of symetry to have the stock cover on the left and the sleek looking Kuryakyn cover on the right side?

Also, if I'm ordering the Pro Series should I just go ahead and order their Techlusion TFI Injection Control Module? I've talked a lot about the Power Commander, but at the end of the day is one as good as the other? Any thoughts on this would be cool.

Cheers,
John

·
32,545 Posts
John
if you get a hypercharger kit, then it would eliminate the cover on the left side as well. i am not all that familiar with the Drifter, but on the Nomad the filter is on the right side and there is a plastic piece that goes between the cylinders connecting both. you actually have to cut this peice with a dremel or hacksaw, unless you want to removed the throttle bodies, and then eliminate the bracketry for both factory side covers. the bike does look a little off balance but that is the common way to change the intake on any V-Twin, so it fits right in, no worries. i would take a look at the Thunder Hypercharger as well, i think it is the same price but doesn't stick out as much and gives better performance results. as far as the FI control, i have a Power Commander, so that is all i know. i am pretty sure that the PC has a lot more adjustability than the TFI or any others, so keep that in mind. keep us posted on what you end up doing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ispeed77 said:
John
if you get a hypercharger kit, then it would eliminate the cover on the left side as well. i am not all that familiar with the Drifter, but on the Nomad the filter is on the right side and there is a plastic piece that goes between the cylinders connecting both. you actually have to cut this peice with a dremel or hacksaw, unless you want to removed the throttle bodies, and then eliminate the bracketry for both factory side covers. the bike does look a little off balance but that is the common way to change the intake on any V-Twin, so it fits right in, no worries.
OK. This makes a lot of sense. You cleared this up perfectly for me.

ispeed77 said:
i would take a look at the Thunder Hypercharger as well, i think it is the same price but doesn't stick out as much and gives better performance results. as far as the FI control, i have a Power Commander, so that is all i know. i am pretty sure that the PC has a lot more adjustability than the TFI or any others, so keep that in mind. keep us posted on what you end up doing.
I'll take a look at the Thunder. I hear very good things about the Power Commander, so maybe I'll stick with my original plan to install that instead of the Techlusion.

Thanks very much for the input,
John

·
Registered
806 Posts
I used the standard Round Fluted Thunder Air Kit on my meanie and as suggest on some other threads here just filled the 2 bolt holes on the left side with chrome bolts. I have also seen some covers you can use on the left side and also heard some people just leave it. I think it only looks unbalanced because it was that way from the factory, doesn't need to stay that way or mean it looks better.

I also used the TFI unit and looked through the various threads here that discussed PC bersus TFI. In terms of computer mapping the PC may have more variation but I found with TFI I can actually adjust quite simply the 4 parameters. I used a map I pulled from their website that matched my setup, dialed that in and it runs great, for half the price I felt it was worth it. Finding stuff on sale I was able to this complete upgrade (air intake and TFI)for about $350.

·
32,545 Posts
no problem John, glad i could help.

as flynsouth mentions, there are a lot of things you can do with that empty space. some companies make horn kits and ignition relocation kits to go in that spot or you can customize it yourself. it seems to be fairly common to put something else in its place. i have not done so yet, but i am considering an ignition relocation for my Nomad.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Pick , I don't notice s****ing the peg's that much with the extensions ,but when I do it sure feels better with a little more peg sticking out there. (Mark quit eating turtle wax would'ya) <BG> ps Mark why don't you post a pic of the dragon II you installed from sherm's . Some of these guy's might want to see how it look's. It might give them an alternative to the HC?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I speed , kuryakyn makes some different spacer's to fit between the HC an the carb. There different thickness'es. Help's to move the HC closer to the motor. They won't work on the 800 because the HC is only about 3/8" from the tank now. But they might work on the nad an 1500 , don't know . I'll look them up tonight on there web site an get some part # if anyone is interested. Hyper chargers were originally developed for HD, an they just made adapter's to fit the real bikes.<G>

1 - 20 of 32 Posts