Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to light up the rear more. I had the plug-and-play version of the Kuryakyn RTB on my 900 and really liked the additional rear lighting. I want to add it to my V2K now.

The 900's went under the seat - since it was plug-n-play, it had Kaw-compatible connectors that went in-between stock wiring harness connectors. Since that's where the connectors were, that's where the RTB went.

There's no plug-n-play V2K version so I'm going to have to get my soldering iron out. I'm just wondering where the best place to cut into the wires might be.

Anybody do this?

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts
I wonder what the odds are the connections are the same as the 900. The only reason I say this is the relay block used on both bikes is the same (I checked part numbers for the hell of it when mine went out). Maybe that's not the only electrical thing that crosses over.

Might be worth a look in any event.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
I installed a RTB on the 2000 a couple of years ago. There is not much room on this bike for extras under the seat. The controller ended up in the tool box and the splice was made to the harness that runs along the right frame member under the seat.

I don't know if I would solder the connections. You might want to remove it at some point (as I did) and soldered connections would make it difficult. I used the bullet style male and female connectors so if something was to go wrong I could just unplug the controller and plug the factory wires back together.

By the way, I only thought I had a problem with my RTB… turned out to be a short inside a front run/blinker bulb causing the rear to come on intermittently. I still have the control board, but the wires are cut short and the cover is gone. I ended up installing receptacles for front bulbs in the rear (easier than the RTB install). So now I have run/turn, just no extra brake lights.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Staring at the wiring diagrams for both service manuals, the wiring order appears to be the same. The V2K's fender harness runs along the right side of the fender and appears to emerge under the seat according to the wire routing diagram. I wish I still had the 900's RTB, it would be interesting to compare the connectors.

As it is, it's not on Kury's compatibility list, though, and the Kaw part numbers for the wiring harness itself is different between the two models.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up installing receptacles for front bulbs in the rear (easier than the RTB install). So now I have run/turn, just no extra brake lights.
Replacing the rear lights with dual-filaments would be acceptable to me, too. How did you replace your rear receptacles?

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Took the dual filament plug-in receptacle thingies out of a set of spare stock front blinkers, took my rear blinkers off, took the single filament plug-in receptacle thingies out, cut the plugs off, soldered/shrink-wrapped the plugs on the dual filament plug-in receptacle thingies along with some extra wire for the run wire, kept everything as slim as I could, fed wires through small holes, mounted modified rear blinkers up, soldered/shrink-wrapped the run circuit to the tail light run circuit.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah - salvaged from an old set, then. Yeah, I'm considering that purchase, too.

I was to buy some from that parted-out V2K but sellers says they're lost of something.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did this mod and bought the Kuryakyn deep dish bezels with red lamps (for the rear). I love it and feel a lot safer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts